Sunday, December 15, 2013

Thrift Report: Holiday Treasures

Hello friends! I'm sorry for the virtual blog silence lately...this holiday season has been kicking my you-know-what!  I've been sick almost nonstop since early November -- finally getting over The Plague of 2013, I think -- and have been running nonstop between work obligations and packing and shipping things for the shop. I guess I'm not really complaining (though a week without a snow or ice storm would be helpful), but I've definitely been teetering on the edge of the exhaustion zone!

Consequently, I've cut way back on the thrifting. I haven't stopped completely, of course (you know me too well for that!) but I've been keeping it to a minimum out of necessity. The nice thing is that when I stay away from my usual haunts for a while, there always seems to be so much fresh merchandise when I finally go back!

Here are a few of my favorite scores from the last couple of weeks:


I've mentioned before how much I love old clocks. This Seth Thomas piece has a very Danish Modern feel. The face is made from ultrasuede. I love the raised wooden numbers. Even more, I love that it works! Buying an old clock without being able to test it is always a bit of a gamble.



I pick up these 60s era Chinoiserie panels whenever I find them. This one has a wooden frame and gilded aluminum decoration. The chic little hook on the top is solid brass. So pretty for a Hollywood Regency setting!


My first Hudson Bay blanket!  This one is a 3 1/2 point in cornflower blue and ivory. It's in pretty good shape - just a couple of slightly discolored spots. The crazy thing is that there was a second Hudson Bay blanket in the thrift where I found this one - also in good condition, but in that beigy gold color I don't like very much. Still -- why didn't I snap it up anyway?! Definitely a moment of bad thrifter judgment.



Finally this adorable little Made in Israel double taper holder with a little stallion on it. The stallion appears to be brass with a verdigris treatment. It's unmarked, but looks a lot like a Walter Bosse piece to me...or a knockoff....must research!

Have you made any interesting vintage finds lately?  How are the holidays treating you? Do you get overwhelmed like me, or thrive on all the hustle and bustle?

I'm linking up here today:

A Living Space
The Dedicated House
The Cottage Market
Remnant





16 comments:

  1. I totally get how being busy feels and not making it to the second hand stores.
    Great finds love the Hudson Bay Blanket could be the Canadian in me.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes! Having experienced a few Candian winters myself, I can understand the appeal to you!

      Delete
  2. We have had that same plague at our house - it totally sucks. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth! I hope everyone at your house is recovering as well!

      Delete
  3. Lucky LUCKY you! Lovely HBC blanket! (It's the Canadian in me, too, Denise). I would dearly love to find one of these in the wild, but sadly, I never had :( I have found some gorgeous vintage wool blankets but no HBC. The colour is perfection.

    So sorry you haven't been feeling well. Being ill at this time of year seems doubly exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I'm finally feeling better, Jane! I had all but given up on finding an HBC blanket, too, when I finally scored this one. Keep the faith! ;)

      Delete
  4. Yes I get completely overwhelmed at holiday time!! Luckily I'm in a good place at this very second. That could all change quickly.

    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets overwhelmed, Kimberly! Take care and enjoy the holidays!

      Delete
  5. I hope you feel 100% soon. I am very much enjoying what I purchased from your shop. Will share a couple of items on my blog tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. I'm so glad you're enjoying everything! I'm heading over to check out your blog now -- how exciting! :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, you find such interesting pieces! Love the clock!!! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe we can follow each other? let me know! <3
    shootingdiamond.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. All beautiful finds, loving each piece!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...