Monday, November 4, 2013

Thrift Report

Hello, friends! Are you all rested up from that extra hour of sleep on Sunday morning?  When I moved to Indiana years ago, I was horrified that the state didn't observe Daylight Savings Time. No "falling back!"  No blissful extra hour of sleep once a year! Not to mention that our out-of-sync time zones confused the rest of the world. I was sooo thrilled when we started observing DST a few years ago. It's the little things that make me happy. ;)

I didn't do much thrifting this week, since I was completely occupied with finishing up my living room makeover for the big One Room Challenge reveal this Thursday. I stumbled into one Goodwill on Saturday, forgetting that it was the first Saturday of the month and thus 50% off day. I should have probably run for my life, but instead I stuck it out and picked up a few things:


A set of seven mint condition Cera rocks glasses in a geometric gold and silver pattern. They kind of look like interlocking iron bars. I need to research the pattern, but thought they had a cool retro/industrial look.

 

And a couple of brass pieces -- a pretty, very HEAVY Art Nouveau style vase and one of my faves, a faux bamboo-railed brass tray. These are great sellers for me!

Finally, here's a find from about a month ago. I spotted this signed (undecipherable) and dated (1971) watercolor at a secondhand shop and wanted it for my home, but balked at the $45.00 price tag (because...yes...I am cheap).  I then couldn't stop thinking about it - a sure sign that I made a mistake and should have pulled the trigger - and was SURE it would be gone by the time I made it back to the store two weeks later. Amazingly, it was still there, and marked down to $12!!! Score!

 

Isn't it cool? It totally looks like an abstract from far away. I love the simplicity of it. 

Be sure to stop by on Thursday to see it hanging in my new living room for the big One Room Challenge living room reveal!

Linking up with these friends to check out everyone else's vintage finds!

A Living Space
Thriftasaurus

22 comments:

  1. You're so lucky that it was still there and marked down so much! That's some seriously good thrifty voodoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It was seriously weird. That kind of thing never happens to me!

      Delete
  2. Love the watercolor and what luck! Still there and marked down? The thrift gods are kind and good. :) AZ doesn't have DST either. I'm used to it now, sort of, but it still feels a bit strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always so annoying to have to explain to everyone that we were in one time zone half the year, and another one the rest of the year. Much simpler now! I had forgotten that AZ is the other state that doesn't observe DST....

      Delete
  3. My favourite is the gorgeous watercolour ......I would buy it in a heartbeat xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness is that painting Amazing!!!! I am all about simple lines in art and that piece is just perfect in its interpretation!!!! What a flipping score!!! Love the tray too! Well I love it all!!! Happy happy week to ya...thank goodness you got that hour! It's the little things for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...that hour was really important to me! Of course I get really grumpy in the spring when we LOSE the hour, but we won't think about that right now... ;)

      Delete
  5. Girl, you have good thrifting juju!! That watercolor is amazing. All of your finds have my heart a flutter...as usual. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The brass pieces are great and the watercolor what a wonderful score.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds! The picture was definitely a score-it was meant to go home with you! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that extra hour and the extra light in the morning every fall---but man do I hate it when spring rolls around and we have to "spring forward". Geh!

    That watercolor is so great!---and cheaper makes it all the sweeter :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That artwork is great! Love that you got it for a bargain! Who knows, maybe it'll end up on Antiques Roadshow and be some obscure famous piece!!!!

    Love that vase too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet scores, I love it when stuff is "wait for me" like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the art and glasses, beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The watercolour is lovely, and what a bargain! We always forget about the time switch. My husband took my son to basketball practice an hour early!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and also proclaim my love for your nude watercolor. What a great statement piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adding my voice to the chorus: the watercolor is a true score! Love that it came home with you at a better price!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please tell me those glasses are going to be in the store! My mother found me a set so many years ago, not in nearly as good condition, and many have broken. I've been searching every vintage store I see, hoping I'd find them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marisa, I'm so sorry - I just saw your comment! Yes, the glasses will be in the shop this week. Feel free to email me at tatterandfray [ at ] gmail [dot] com if you want me to alert you when the listing goes live.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...