In case you're just tuning in, I have been linking up with Linda at Calling it Home as I attempt to make over my living room, top to bottom, in six weeks. See my earlier posts here, or click on the button in my sidebar.
This week, I did a ton of painting. I painted some lamps (which I may or may not end up using in the room); I painted my coffee table; I'm working on painting my end tables; and I am starting on my front door next. I'm trying to get all the painting projects out of the way this week because I tend to dread them. Once I'm done with all the painting, I feel like it will be smooth sailing!
Here's one of my painting projects from this week. I wanted a large mirror to hang on the wall opposite the two windows in the living room, to help reflect sunlight and brighten the space. It needed to be big, and I wanted it to have an interesting shape, but I couldn't find anything affordable.
A few months ago, I picked up this sucker at a Goodwill store:
It's an old 1960s-era dresser mirror -- you can see the metal poles that connected it to the dresser in another life. I thought the softly curved shape was pretty, so for $14.99, I snapped it up. And it's been sitting in my basement ever since!
This week, I dragged it out for a little makeover. As you can see, the original cream paint treatment needed some updating:
I decided to break out the gold leaf paint, which I've used before successfully, but not on anything this big...
I was happy with the results again this time, but WHOA...the fumes. I'm not usually all that sensitive to chemical odors, but this stuff just about knocked me out. At one point, I had to go outside and sit on the deck for a half hour because my hands were shaking and I felt tingling in my face. Scary! This paint has a nice, liquidy consistency, though, and it covers well. Two coats later, here's what I had:
I really like how it turned out; I think the solid gold color helps show off the curvy shape of the frame. I removed the hideous steel "legs," of course, and hung it on the wall using a cleat-style hanger like this one. If you've never tried one of these, I highly recommend them. They're the only type of hanger I trust for really heavy things - especially on my ancient plaster walls.
ALSO...to update you on last week's lighting saga...my mom texted me on Saturday to tell me she had spotted a pretty, small scale semi-flush chandelier in local junk shop in her town. She attached this picture:
Hello! JUST what I was looking/hoping for. I jumped in my car and tore up to her town to check it out before the shop closed. Loved it. You can't tell from the photo, but it even has the original brass canopy, which is a huge plus. The best part was the price - $75! Even if it needs rewiring, it's a bargain. Now I just have to coerce my dad to install it for me before the challenge concludes. :)
So this week, I'm happy to say I checked off "add mirrors" from my original wish list for the room (I have another mirror I made over a while ago that I'll also be hanging up this week) and figured out my lighting situation. Although I'm overwhelmed with my list of tasks still to accomplish, I'm gonna keep on truckin! See you back here next week for more updates.
In the meantime, be sure to check out all the fabulous bloggers who are participating in the One Room Challenge over at Calling it Home...things are getting really interesting!