Thursday, October 24, 2013

One Room Challenge: Week Four!

I can't believe it's already week FOUR. Seriously. Panic is starting to set in, folks. I accomplished a lot since my last post, but my to-do list is still pretty much monumental. Wish me luck!

In case you're just tuning in, I have been linking up with Linda at Calling it Home as I attempt to make over my living room, top to bottom, in six weeks. See my earlier posts here, or click on the button in my sidebar.

This week, I did a ton of painting. I painted some lamps (which I may or may not end up using in the room); I painted my coffee table; I'm working on painting my end tables; and I am starting on my front door next. I'm trying to get all the painting projects out of the way this week because I tend to dread them. Once I'm done with all the painting, I feel like it will be smooth sailing!

Here's one of my painting projects from this week. I wanted a large mirror to hang on the wall opposite the two windows in the living room, to help reflect sunlight and brighten the space. It needed to be big, and I wanted it to have an interesting shape, but I couldn't find anything affordable.

A few months ago, I picked up this sucker at a Goodwill store:


It's an old 1960s-era dresser mirror -- you can see the metal poles that connected it to the dresser in another life.  I thought the softly curved shape was pretty, so for $14.99, I snapped it up. And it's been sitting in my basement ever since!

This week, I dragged it out for a little makeover. As you can see, the original cream paint treatment needed some updating:

 

I decided to break out the gold leaf paint, which I've used before successfully, but not on anything this big...
 

I was happy with the results again this time, but WHOA...the fumes. I'm not usually all that sensitive to chemical odors, but this stuff just about knocked me out. At one point, I had to go outside and sit on the deck for a half hour because my hands were shaking and I felt tingling in my face. Scary!  This paint has a nice, liquidy consistency, though, and it covers well. Two coats later, here's what I had:

 
 

I really like how it turned out; I think the solid gold color helps show off the curvy shape of the frame.  I removed the hideous steel "legs," of course, and hung it on the wall using a cleat-style hanger like this one. If you've never tried one of these, I highly recommend them. They're the only type of hanger I trust for really heavy things - especially on my ancient plaster walls.

ALSO...to update you on last week's lighting saga...my mom texted me on Saturday to tell me she had spotted a pretty, small scale semi-flush chandelier in local junk shop in her town. She attached this picture:


Hello! JUST what I was looking/hoping for. I jumped in my car and tore up to her town to check it out before the shop closed. Loved it. You can't tell from the photo, but it even has the original brass canopy, which is a huge plus. The best part was the price - $75!  Even if it needs rewiring, it's a bargain. Now I just have to coerce my dad to install it for me before the challenge concludes. :)

So this week, I'm happy to say I checked off  "add mirrors" from my original wish list for the room (I have another mirror I made over a while ago that I'll also be hanging up this week) and figured out my lighting situation.  Although I'm overwhelmed with my list of tasks still to accomplish, I'm gonna keep on truckin! See you back here next week for more updates.

In the meantime, be sure to check out all the fabulous bloggers who are participating in the One Room Challenge over at Calling it Home...things are getting really interesting!

xoxo

41 comments:

  1. The Moms always find the best stuff! That light is perfect and the price couldn't be better. Hopefully your Dad can help you out.
    The mirror came out really nice. Glad you didn't keel over from the fumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Yep, my mom always finds the best stuff!

      Delete
  2. Way to go Mom...she's got your back! Mirror looks amazing, as does the fixture. Can't wait to see the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that exact same mirror! I got it with the original dresser off Craigs List last year and I've been trying to figure out what color to paint it. Yours looks awesome!

    Renee @ http://CasaStephensInteriors.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mirror looks great and the light is perfect! The room is definitely coming together and I'm looking forward to the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Francine...wish me luck getting it all done on time! ;)

      Delete
  5. Yeah Mom!! I wish my mom had good taste, and my dad knew how to wire stuff, and they did not live 3,000 miles away. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I know, I'm so lucky to have my (helpful) parents so close by!

      Delete
  6. The mirror is awesome! Love the fixture too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That light fixture is gorgeous!!!! WOW! What a score...your mom rocks! And you did an outstanding job on your mirror friend! It is look crazy awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That chandelier is a huge score, it's stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving what you did with the mirror! I would like to try the gold paint but now I am a little skeered!! LOL And that light!!! Good gravy, high five your Momma!! It is prefection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mirror is really beautiful Heather! Too bad the paint just about knocked you out! I hate that!

    Good luck finishing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Mom! The mirror is stunning. Looking forward to seeing what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that light!!! total score and I am totally in love. and if you find your credenza missing in the middle of the night, it was most definitely NOT me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL -- thanks! I have to confess that I bought that credenza at a yard sale for $20 a few years ago. Possibly my best secondhand furniture find ever!

      Delete
  13. So glad to have found your blog! I love the console and the mirror makeover. I'll be watching -- can't wait to see it all come together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm excited for it to come together (aka be over!) soon, too! ;)

      Delete
  14. Ooooh, I love your gold leaf!!! Hmmm, I'm torn... to gold leaf or spray paint... that is the question! The spray paint sure is easier (and less stinky it sounds)! Your mirror looks FANTASTIC, and that chandelier was quite the find!

    XOXO,
    The Glam Pad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! Yep, I totally lucked out on the chandelier!

      Delete
  15. Your mirror looks fantastic Heather!!! Never tried gold-leafing before but you inspire me!!!! And that chancy? Boy, now i know where you get your excellent taste from!!! Kiss mom for me, she found a real beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank you! Luckily my dad is an electrical engineer, so he comes in super handy for crazy projects like this... :)

      Delete
  17. I love your mirror redo. I recently saw an almost identical one in my Goodwill store- wishing now I had grabbed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to pop up in thrift stores from time to time...I've passed them over many times before, too!

      Delete
  18. WOW!!!! You never disappoint, Heather! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely LOVE the vintage light that you found! It's perfect! And what a great job on the mirror! I can't wait to see more! Panic is setting in here as well!! I am feeling really behind in my room...i better step it up this week! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the Liquid leaf and how did I miss that sexy credenza?!? Moms never fail!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay for progress, you accomplished a lot this week! That mirror looks great, I haven't ever tried the gold leaf paint. Glad your mom came to the rescue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good score on the light fixture- yay mom! I have almost that same mirror that I've wanted to gold gild for a while now (and you've definitely convinced me now). Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a find that mirror is. I love it with your sideboard. And those lamps are killer!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...