Friday, September 27, 2013

What I Left Behind

So it's pretty clear I love to thrift for anything vintage -- both for myself and for the shop.  What I rarely share, though, is how much stuff I'm tempted to buy but end up leaving behind.

I know you're incredulous, seeing as I share GOBS of stuff each week that I've purchased. It's probably hard to believe that I ever pass anything up. But really, I do. Sometimes I show heroic restraint - I swear. :)

Today, I thought I'd share a few things that I've managed to resist in my thifting over the last few weeks. I'm hoping that photographing these things and sharing them with you will somehow make me feel better and second-guess myself less. (That'll totally work, right?)

Yesterday, I spotted this bamboo and rattan chair at Goodwill. I actually spotted it from the parking lot, if I'm being honest. I full intended to buy it. I loved the way the lattice pattern of the bamboo extends all the way to the floor on the sides.


It was a nice, heavy, sturdy chair. Imagine it spray-lacquered with something cool -- black, or maybe emerald green -- with a new cushion, of course. And I'm actually looking for a chair for my living room. It's not quite what I had in mind, but still...

In the end, I was deterred mostly by the price. $40 is not expensive for a chair, but it's pricey for a Goodwill chair. Especially when it needs a complete overhaul and new cushions. Plus, I have waaaay too many unfinished projects in my house already. So, sadly, I left it behind.


Speaking of chairs, here's another cool one that I was tempted to purchase a week or so ago.




It was in a local junk store and immediately caught my eye. What makes it, of course, is that tiger print seat. That's silk velvet, folks. Just stunning in person.  It was $125, but I know I could have negotiated it down. Really a statement piece, right?

In the end, I passed it up because I can't really have tiger print upholstery in my living room along with my leopard print rug. We'd be talking major Vegas-level tacky. As beautiful as it is, it just isn't right for me. Sigh....


Finally, check out this amazing table I spotted in the same Goodwill as the bamboo chair:




I made that rare gasping sound that means you've found something amazing and you're willing to tackle anyone who gets to it before you do -- my fellow thrifters know what I mean.  It was seriously love at first sight.  Heavy, unlaquered brass with just the perfect amount of golden patina. A classic shape. It's really perfect. PERFECT. And only $15!

Why oh why did I leave this piece behind, you might ask? Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I really don't need it. Yes, I still haven't decided on a second end table for my new living room, but I fear I'm approaching brass overload in that space. And I truly don't have room for one. more. table. in the rest of my house. I'm on occasional table overload right now. But still....

Maybe I need to go back tonight, just to visit it.....


How about you? Do you allow yourself to bring home all of the vintage treasures you come across while thrifting? Anything you've left behind that you still regret?


Linking up here!

Ivy & Elephants
The Thrifty Groove

LinkUpButton

Dagmar's Home Thrifty and Vintage Finds link party

33 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I just posted about a pair of Greek Key dressers I just bought and they need a ton of work and my basement and garage is full. This stuff is getting hard to sneak past my husband! And Goodwill prices are insane lately. I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so weird to say that $40 is expensive for a chair, but seriously...at Goodwill?! I thought it was crazy. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has an overflowing basement and garage! I need to take a "vacation" just to work on all my backlogged furniture projects. ;)

      Delete
  2. Good Afternoon Heather, It's awful when you see something, that you really like, but decide to be sensible and leave it where it is. I have done that and I have even gone back to see if that special something is still there, and when it isn't, I always feel disappointed, but I wonder if the disappointment is justified, I wonder if it is because I think I want the item and when it is not there, when I return to the shop, that makes me want it even more..... that's human nature I think. I soon forget about the item though, when I find that next wonderful thing.
    I have to say, the statement chair is really lovely.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daphne. You're so right -- I keep toying with the idea of going back "just to see" if the table is still there, but I know I shouldn'!

      Delete
  3. Yep. I have so little room in my little bungalow that I have to really need it or have a vintage shop (which I don't). So I understand the regret!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie Marie. I'm in the same boat -- tiny, tiny bungalow! Overflowing with furniture! I I guess it's a nice problem to have, but still! ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh the life of a thrifter. I adore all of those pieces that you left behind too. It would have been hard for me to walk away from that table. But I totally understand your reasoning. Sometimes if I pass on something that was tugging at my heartstrings and if it is still there the next time I stop in, I call it destiny and purchase! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on board with that philosophy! Hmm...is it too soon to go back?? LOL

      Delete
  5. Yes!!! I have left things behind and have kicked myself on a few of them! Your chairs that you spotted are amazing!!! I would take them both!!! And that table is super cool as well but I totally get your reasoning with the price...Hope you are well lady! Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I know I'm not alone in this. :) Have a great weekend yourself!

      Delete
  6. I leave things behind and second guess myself all the time! I left a set of dining room chairs and went back in a few hours and lucky for me they were still there and now they live in my home! Thanks for sharing at TTF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS lucky...things in our thrifts around here go so quickly!

      Delete
  7. You know I am the original brass lover in this family!!! I ADORE that table so maybe I should buy it for me and you could come and visit it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there's plenty of room underneath it for a bulldog den! ;)

      Delete
  8. oh Heather, I feel your pain! I have left many a beautiful piece of furniture behind because it was overpriced or because I didn't want another project! I think that recording the experience in your blog must help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It honestly does, Beatriz! Except for the table...that one is still haunting me a little bit. ;)

      Delete
  9. You always find the best treasures, but I can't believe some of the things you are strong enough to pass!
    I always worry if I made a mistake, but we have to have some restraint, right? Oh, heck, go back and get that table!!!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I avoided the thrift shop with the table all weekend, but it's on my way way home from work tonight. We'll see!

      Delete
  10. It can be so hard to know what you really need and what just seems like a good deal, can't it! $40 is a lot for a Goodwill chair! Some great pieces, that middle chair is definitely a statement!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always so hard to walk away from the stuff you adore. I would have a garage full of stuff if I purchased everything I loved no matter how great the price!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate it when I have to leave things behind because of the price or I don't buy something even though the price is okay. I have to believe it's sometimes good to walk away I only have so much space. I would have had a hard time walking away from the second chair but I would have in the end to.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Denise; that's ultimately what I had to do. I just couldn't justify any of those pieces, as much as I loved them!

      Delete
  13. Sadly, I have brought home too many things and now am forced to donate some back. I get it. But that table, girl you could sit in front of a chocolate cake and not take a bite with that willpower. I would have brought that one home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL -- so true! That table is still haunting me. It's been over a week. If it's still there (very little chance) the next time I drop by that store, I'll consider it a sign and bring it home!

      Delete
  14. I have such a back log of "What I Left Behind" posts to catch up on. I need to leave MORE behind, actually ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm the same way, sometimes regret what I leave behind, but you can't buy it all! This post would be perfect for my new link party, We Call It Olde - I invite you to join in! My blog is wecallitjunkin.com Hope to see you there, party starts on Tuesdays but goes a full week, anything vintage or antique. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn, thanks for stopping by. I'll head over and check out your link party!

      Delete
  16. I'm the same way, sometimes regret what I leave behind, but you can't buy it all! This post would be perfect for my new link party, We Call It Olde - I invite you to join in! My blog is wecallitjunkin.com Hope to see you there, party starts on Tuesdays but goes a full week, anything vintage or antique. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for linking this to my first We Call It Olde Link-Up! Thanks to you, my first week was a success. I hope to see you there again each Tuesday with your antique, vintage, or history-related article. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you need to go back for that table asap! For that price and condition that's a steal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...