Monday, August 26, 2013

Thrift Report: The Glam Factor

My vintage finds this week were all about retro glam!


I mean really, how could anyone resist these fabulous disco-era beanbag ashtrays?!  I don't buy many ashtrays, but these were too good to resist.



I was excited to find these four mint-condition Dorothy Thorpe seafood cocktail servers, complete with original glass liners. Very rare, a whole set, and not a chip in sight! 

And then...I tried to remove the super sticky packing tape that the thrift shop had used to attach the liners to the glasses. Along with the tape came a significant portion of the silver band -- even after soaking and every other trick I could think of.


Sad, right? I didn't actually cry over this, but I came close! The silver banding on real Thorpe pieces is, in my experience, SO fragile.

This next find made me feel a smidge better:


A huge, heavy weight brass planter with the coolest ring handles. It's got some really nice patina and I love the design etched into each side -- kind of reminiscent of a Celtic knot?



I do well with bar tools in the shop, and this set really caught my eye. They're lacquered brass and all the original pieces are intact. Cocktail, anyone?



These pottery busts of King Tut and Nefertiti are pretty cool, and quite large. I bought these at a new secondhand shop my mom and I visited last weekend.



And finally, I love this old cigarette case. It's in really good shape. Back in my smoking days, a looooong time ago, I would have given my eye teeth for this piece!

All in all, it was a pretty good haul. And I'm seriously inspired to throw a swanky cocktail party sometime soon!


Have you had any cool vintage finds lately, glamorous or otherwise?

I'm linking up here:

Make It Pretty Monday
The Thrifty Groove
Amaze Me Monday at Dwellings
Thriftasaurus


xoxo


25 comments:

  1. You should throw a swanky party!!! Those pieces are insanely cool! My favorite are those ash trays...they are gorgeous! That cigarette case is beautiful too! Hope you are well! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! It's funny that I'm so in love with both the ashtrays and the cigarette case, since I have zero use for either one, but they were my favorite finds this week! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh I would have bawled like a baby if the silver band came off with the tape!! That sticky tape is one of my big pet peeves. Please invite me to your swanky party :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know; tragic! I can't even really blame the thrift store -- I'm sure they had no idea.

      Consider yourself invited! ;)

      Delete
  3. Very glam week indeed! Love the planter and such a shame on the glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dreaded tape and the placement of price tags at thrift shops drive me crazy!
    I'm sorry about the loss of the sliver banding, but the cocktail servers are awesome!
    You certainly did find some lovely items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paulette! And let me add "marker marks" to my list of thrift store pet peeves. Some of ours write in permanent marker, right on wood, cloth, etc. So frustrating!

      Delete
  5. Oh man, dang sticky crap! That's a bummer. Sometimes even a soak in water and vinegar can't get the tags off. It's so annoying!
    Love your finds, but I feel you on the cigarette case. I also am an ex-smoker and would have loved to that. The ash trays are pretty awesome too! Think of the money we save though... and the whole health thing too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good point, Melissa. I'll focus on that! ;)

      Delete
  6. Beautiful finds, Heather! Sorry about the tape on top of the silver bands...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anathalia....it was sad, but it happens. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually! ;)

      Delete
  7. Great finds Heather -LOVE the cigarette case

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a product I use called Un-Du that's made for scrapbooking that is meant to remove sticky things without damaging the paper underneath. I think it's similar in chemical makeup to benzene. I don't know if it would harm or discolor the silver banding underneath, however. Maybe since you already have some ruined ones, you could give it a try without the fear of ruining a "good" one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much glam! Great finds, the ashtrays are so COOL! hard to pass them up. The planter is great as well. I have had better luck at pulling the tape off silver rimmed glass when dry. It is a painful process, and I have decided to pass on all of it at thrifts... such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds! I'm sorry about your glassware- it seems that all thrift shops feel the need to ruin things with packing tape! I've had my share of packing tape/badly placed sticky label mishaps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those Dorothy Thope glasses anyway - even with a little missing silver. I really REALLY hate when the thrift stores use packing tape. It is really hard to remove that sticky stuff without scrubbing off some paint!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You found amazing things Heather! Love the ashtrays. I would totally put those out even though nobody smokes in the house. I can imagine you almost cried about the glasses. Foolish people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will have to say...I remember using ashtrays like that! I'm happy to say I haven't smoked in 31 years, but yes, I would have loved having a cigarette case like that one! And the rest of your finds are fabulous...sticky tape one of my thrift store peeves. I usually have it peeled off at the counter while I am checking out and if anything comes up...I change my mind. I'm trying to be ruthless with myself about buying anything that is not perfect...doesn't always work though...

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! These are the best finds ever in the history of finding!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Old cigarette cases can be so cute. We need to come up with an alternative use for them :-)

    So sad about the glasses. If the thrifts think they are so up to date on what is "collectible" then why can't they figure out where and where not to put price stickers?!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice finds the cigarette case is great I have a few I use one of them for my Ipod I carry in my work bag.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those bean bag ashtrays are pretty great. And it's okay to cry over stupidly placed thrift shop tags that ruin pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I gasped when I saw the damage to the Dorothy Thorpe pieces. I have had similar experiences with trying to remove tape or price tags from Culver glasses. The gold on Culver is very fragile as well. As a consolation, I have two Dorothy Thorpe Silver Band berry (fruit or dessert) bowls to offer you. I remembered a previous blog post where you showed your impressive Dorothy Thorpe Silver Band collection. Great finds as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, I had to go back and look for this post. I remembered the brass planter with the ring detail. I spotted the same design and style of this planter except it was a lamp...a lone lamp. I should have bought it. I really liked it but there was only one. Am I the only weirdo who only buys lamps in a pair?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...