Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Thrift Report: Seventies Stylin'

Hi all!  Sorry I'm so late in posting this week.  I went on my epic thrifting trip last weekend, but I bought so much that I haven't had time to clean or photograph anything, so I'll be back next week with a full report on my finds.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share this gem of a book I picked up at Goodwill six months or so ago:


It's a 1970s decorating book, and WOW does it have some cool images!  What struck me most in paging through it, though, is how much design trends come full circle. Some of those images look like they could have been pulled directly from the modern pages Domino or Lonny!


Black walls and Jacobean print fabrics are totally trending right now....

 And check out the fab emerald chairs and quartrefoil background in this top center photo:



I love the bright color combinations and big abstract painting in this shot:


And check this out:


If you switched out that red carpeting for some hardwood floors, that room would be so current with its black lampshades, gallery wall, chinoiserie accents, and brass sconce!

I loved browsing through this book -- well worth the $2.50 price tag. I now own several vintage/mid-century interior decorating books and find something fascinating in each of them. How about you? Have you ever thrifted (or just checked out) a vintage decor book?

Enjoy your week, friends!

xoxo


Linking up here:

A Living Space
The Cottage Market
Ivy & Elephants
Apron Thrift Girl
The Dedicated House
Knick of Time
Mod Vintage Life

13 comments:

  1. Heather, first of all thank you for your sweet comment on my blog.
    I have many a book and magazine from the 60's and 70's I find them inspiring and they also serve as resource information. Win/win.

    Looking forward to all your finds. I want to go on an awesome thrifting trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beatriz! I'll have to keep an eye out for more books from this era -- so fun!

      Delete
  2. Those emerald chairs are to die for! You're right, design elements are so cyclical. Sometimes thats good and sometimes that's bad. : ) Great find!
    Excited to see all the treasures you found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point...when it's bad, it's usually VERY bad! ;)

      Delete
  3. I need to hit up the book section! This was a great find. So before its time even!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really WAS before its time in some ways!

      Delete
  4. Collecting vintage interior design is ANOTHER of my obsessions.....SIGHHH :-)
    Thank you Heather for your kind thoughts on our new home xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats again! I think I, too, have found a new obsession...vintage design books. :)

      Delete
  5. I love when I come across these books! Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun book! I think style of the past is so inspirational to modern designers - it is no wonder style comes full circle! I really enjoy vintage craft books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is super cute! I am new from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully follow me back. Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...