Monday, June 10, 2013

Thrift Report: Old National Road Sale

As promised, friends, a full report on my EPIC thrifting trip of two weeks ago!  Last year, I stumbled upon the wonder that is the Historic Old National Road Yard Sale  -  and it was sincerely one of the most fun day trips I've ever taken. This annual sale, now in its tenth year, stretches from St. Louis to Baltimore, and the heart of the action is right smack dab along the Indiana/Ohio corridor known as "Antique Alley." There are literally hundreds of yard sales, sidewalk sales, antiques dealers in tents, farm stands, and lots of old-timey charm along this very vintage stretch of country highway.

This year, my mom and I decided to make an overnighter of it. We had grand plans to leave on Friday, drive all the way into Ohio, spend the night, and work our way back slowly over the weekend.  Sadly, our plans were partially foiled by atrocious weather.  On Friday morning we set out in rain, heavy dark clouds overhead. At first the yard sales were few and far between or closed down and wrapped in tarps to keep the merchandise dry. We finally hit a good stretch of sales (and a patch of dry weather) about an hour into the trip, but shortly thereafter we were treated to a monsoon-like deluge. On the recommendation of a local, we took refuge at the Flamingo Diner (just like it sounds ;) and waited out the storm.

Thankfully, once we got going again, things cleared up and the sales started to appear.


Like last year, there was good and bad. Some obvious dealers with vintage items priced at full retail, but also lots of small, cluttery sales with vintage and modern and pure "junk" mixed in, all at great prices.


A Pyrex collector's paradise


Mid-century barber chairs, anyone?

This dealer turned everything upside-down so his kitchenware wouldn't fill with rain!

We worked our way all the way to the Ohio border before finding a hotel for the night. That evening, we ventured out to a Goodwill we had spotted in the town where we were staying and made some great scores, then returned to the hotel, only to lie awake all night monitoring threatening tornadic storms that were heading our way from Oklahoma City. (Gotta love the Midwest!)

The next day, we meandered our way back home, and although the weather wasn't much better, we didn't run into anything severe and hit some really fruitful sales.

All in all, it was still a FANTASTIC weekend,  a memorable adventure, and a great buying trip all rolled into one. Although the sales weren't as prolific as last year due to the rain, we still managed to fill our SUV to the brim (and then some)!

We spread everything out on my mom's dining table when we got home, to inspect and divide it all. My mom got some amazing milk glass pieces for next to nothing, which are perfect for her Etsy shop Trellis Weddingware:



I hit the jackpot with loads of vintage glassware and brass pieces, as well as some other fun odds and ends:



Here are a few of my favorite Highway 40 finds:

A plethora of fabulous glassware...

A cool set of vintage brass bar tools with marble-based caddy. You'd weep if I told you how little I paid for these! ;)


This Art Deco amber glass vanity set is so pretty in person! I love the ring holder and all the triangular pieces.

A veritable zoo of gold animals...



I was soooo excited to pick up this vintage aqua fan for just a few dollars. It even works!


And the piece de resistance...

A set of four mint-condition Shoji glasses!  You may remember my ongoing obsession with this glassware...I paid $20 for all four, which (believe it or not) is a bargain for this pattern, especially in this condition.

Thanks for bearing with me through all these photos. I guess I needed an "epic" post to describe my epic thrifting trip!  How about you: have you ever tackled one of those "endless yardsale" experiences? 

Happy thrifting, all!

xoxo
 
 
Linking up here:
 


25 comments:

  1. You found your glasses! You found your glasses! Sooner or later we get to cross items from our wish list, and it feels good, right? What a fantastic experience, there is nothing like it in California (that I am aware of) and how fun to have your mom with you. All around fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find them, finally! I have often regretted not buying that set on Etsy that you forwarded to me, which were really a good price, but I feel better now. :) And yes, my mom and I have a blast. I am so thankful she also loves antiques/vintage.

      Delete
  2. Heather, I don't have anything close to me like these sales. I'm jealous. Get back there and get me those Pyrex bowl sets. ;)
    Looks like it was such a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was soooo fun! :) Keep your eyes out...this sale has been going right through my area forever and I only discovered it last year. You never know!

      Delete
  3. How fun! I am jealous ;). Nice finds and what a great get-a-way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW EXCITING!!!!!!!!!! (Sorry about the yucky weather.) BUT STILL! A little jealous, but SO fun to read about and see your finds! The fan is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how fun - so jealous! Great finds :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH HEATHER!...... I am soooo jealous of you purchases especially the fan xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, that fan is a thing of beauty! It's so pretty! And the brass figures are an awesome find. I sell them pretty well on Etsy.
    I'm so glad that you guys still scored and had such a good time considering the weather. Yay for junking trips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like fun. Too bad about the weather, but you got cool pieces at least!

    BTW, I have a penguin hot and cold server like the one you have in the shop. I love it. I have to remember to use it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what great finds!!!! I love all those Pyrex dishes! Looks like a fun shopping trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun trip! Sound like a ton of fun even with the pesky tornado threat. Lovely glass finds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a fun trip! I wish we had something like that here in Cali. I'm glad you found those awesome glasses! It's so fun to find something you've been drooling over and especially for a great price!

    -Melissa @ Scavenger Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bar ware is stunning. It looks like the weather didn't affect you at all. Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the US 40 sale! I live close to US 40 in Central Indiana :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow...wow...WOW!!!

    It sounds like you had a great time. What wonderful things you both found!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow love all the Pyrex retro stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really fun! I have one GE fan just like this one, but mine is grey. It works too, but it isn't in such nice conditions as yours. And the glasses are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Except for the rain it sounds like a great shopping trip. The art deco amber glass and fan are great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My parents used to have the same amber glass set! We used them with dinner. :) You found some awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that fan! Glad to see you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never heard about this sale! I'll have make note for next year as I'm just south in KY. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, good Lord! You really got a haul there! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. The party will be live as soon as I can finish writing the post. lol. Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great finds! I had the same brass/marble bar set when I married in 1985. Lots of brass then...which I hear is now coming back.
    My favorite are the Shoji glasses. Highball, anyone? :)
    Stopped by via Kathryn's.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Morning Heather, I must keep this highway 40 on my calender! Looks like some fantastic finds! I did the highway 25 yard sale from Ky down to Tn, and it was fun! I love the vintage fan you found, that's my favorite! Have a wonderful week...Blessings~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...