Sunday, May 12, 2013

Thrift Report: Latest Goodies

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day!  I was lucky enough to spend a part of the day with my mom, for a yummy brunch followed by a little antiquing -- one of our favorite things to do together.

I'm supposed to be on a [self-imposed] vintage-hunting moratorium right now. I still have tons of stuff I haven't yet photographed or listed in the shop, plus I'm scheduled to go on a big buying trip later this month. So OF COURSE I've totally been on a thrifting binge. Le sigh....

Yesterday, when I was antiquing with my mom, I picked up this guy:


Yep, a big ol' brass seal.  I totally want to keep him, but....NO NO NO NO!!!  I still have a life-sized brass peacock in my bedroom that I've procrastinated about listing for months. I must list this guy before the brass animal police come and arrest me.

 I also found this set of teak canisters recently:


 I don't love stocking canisters for the shop because they are bulky and hard to store, but I was really drawn to these, and they were a great price.

Over the weekend I found this set of four American Airlines cocktail glasses:


As I've mentioned before, I love vintage hotelware, railroad china, and airline china, so I was thrilled to find these. I did some research and learned that this set is likely ca. 1980s. Can't you just see someone sipping their cocktail in first class from one of these?

The pottery collector in me got pretty excited when I spotted these two heavy clay vases at Goodwill:


The picture doesn't really do them justice...they are STUN-NING in person. Very tall and heavy, and wonderfully formed and glazed. They are marked "Grisby '91" on the undersides and they are in perfect condition. I haven't been able to find out anything about the maker, but they're definitely better quality than much of the typical vintage studio pottery I find.

This tray and bottle coaster were a pretty unique find:


 I love the combo of the sleek black vinyl and the gold banding. Very 80s.

And finally, I was lucky to pick up this vintage spice rack:


I couldn't believe that the little Danish Modern looking spice scoop was still intact!  I've never seen a set quite like it. And I was lucky, because the thrift store clerk told me someone else had purchased it and returned it - insanity! - just a few minutes before I walked into the store. Clearly meant to be, right?

Thanks for stopping by to check out my finds! Here's hoping that you all find lots of vintage goodies this week!

xoxo

Linking up here:

A Living Space
The Cottage Market
Make It Pretty Monday

28 comments:

  1. Love the seal - I would want to keep it, too. And the American Airlines glasses are very cool - oh, how I wish air travel was like it used to be. And who would return that spice set - crazy, just plain crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed on all counts. I was just flying recently and thought about how people who traveled in the 60s are probably appalled at the conditions of air travel today!

      Delete
  2. The spice rack is awesome. Yes, meant to be. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to spend Mother's Day! I too got to do a little thrifting yesterday. Love the seal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had some time to thrift, Astrid. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a good way to spend Mother's Day. That brass seal is so cute! And the canisters are fabulous! So are the cocktail glasses. Ok, all of your finds are awesome actually!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The canisters and the spice rack are my favorites, and I think they would look great together in the same kitchen, don't you? The ceramic vases look like they are quality studio pottery, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came from the same shop, so I bet it's possible the canisters and spice rack WERE once in the same kitchen! :)

      Delete
  6. I can see there was no way to leave any of those great finds behind! Love the canisters, but the vases are my fav! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. The vases are my fave, too. I have a bit of a "pottery problem." ;)

      Delete
  7. Nice haul! The black/gold tray & bottle coaster are my faves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for validating that I'm not completely crazy for buying that black and gold set!

      Delete
  8. EEEEEK! The scoop is still there!!!!!

    LOVE those two pottery pieces. The colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- I agree! :) And about the scoop: it was stuck to the top of the set with an old dried out piece of scotch tape. I could not BELIEVE it wasn't lost!

      Delete
  9. Maybe the previous purchaser was a bit confused by the marjoram! The 80s black tray looks like its come from the set of a soap opera...the Bold and the Beautiful, Days of Our Lives. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Totally true! Maybe even a bit of a "Dynasty" vibe.... LOL

      Delete
  10. The studio pottery vases are lovely they would be something I would love to find.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise! I was thrilled to find them.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Me too, Marium!!! I seriously hope he sells quickly or I know I'll end up keeping him...

      Delete
  12. Super cute seal! Love the colors on those pottery pieces. Nice finds this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that spice rack but I would have a really hard time not painting it! Is that wrong?

    :-)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I hadn't thought of that, but could be interesting! ;)

      Delete
  14. oooooohhhh, that spice rack. gorgeous! i love the table top you chose to photograph the pieces on - fabulous as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...