Friday, May 17, 2013

IKEA: Redux

Back in February, I took a trip to IKEA for the first time in two years.  Even though I'm an IKEA devotee and veteran, I hadn't visited in so long that I made several rookie mistakes.

First and foremost, we visited on a Saturday.  For the love of God, friends, unless you are completely desperate, avoid IKEA on the weekends. We practically had to park in another county.


It was so insanely packed that we were pushed along the path through the showroom as if we were riding on a human trolley. I felt like I missed half the store!

Second, I wrote down the Swedish IKEA item names from the catalog. My shopping list (the details of which I shared here!)  looked like this:


Thank goodness I used descriptors (such as "door mat") for some of the items...it's a lot harder to remember what a "Farglav" or a "Skruvskta" might be when you're actually at the store! Consequently, I forgot several things I meant to pick up.

Finally, remember that your vehicle will hold more than you thinkEspecially when your shopping partner owns a brand spankin' new mini van. :)  I was kind of conservative with my purchases because I was worried about fitting the five shelving units that we were collectively buying into the van. I needn't have worried; everything fit with lots of room to spare. IKEA does a great job of packaging things to fit into personal vehicles.

So while our February IKEA trip was fun, it wasn't ideal. You know where this is going, right?  Yep...we made a return trip last week!

My cousin/shopping buddy/friend Kendra and I set out last Friday at the crack of dawn (tough on two confirmed night owls like us) for the Cincinnati IKEA. We were not deterred by wind, rain, or speed traps. We arrived at our gold-and-blue mecca only to score a second row parking spot.


Look at the intensity on that face. We were on a mission, folks! (And it was early. REALLY early!)


Since we had recognized our earlier folly and scheduled our return trip for a weekday, the store was virtually empty and we were able to meander through all the displays at a nice, leisurely pace. Almost everything we wanted was in stock. There were even [gasp!] helpful employees on hand to assist us.

Which is good...because I was buying a SOFA. My tiny 1940s bungalow living room has been undergoing a slow makeover for some time, and I've been eyeing IKEA's small-scale, sleek Sater sofa for a while, but didn't think it would fit in the van on the last trip. This time, though, I pulled the trigger.

I also picked up one of dirt cheap fiddle leaf figs that IKEA is now selling; a few more red-and-white Tekla dish towels (I'm addicted to those things!) and some other odds and ends.

I'm happy to report that I'm loving the sofa so far. I'll show you the full living room makeover soon, but here's an in-progress sneak peek:




Many thanks to my favorite shopping pal, Kendra, who not only shares my love of IKEA, but also heroically helped me to transport this crazy "impulse purchase."

She's a trooper, that one! She's also 6 ft. tall. A handy combo.

Wishing you all a lovely weekend!  xoxo


Linking with:

Oh the Places I've Been

24 comments:

  1. I'm laughing soooooo hard, I can't see to read the screen any more!!! You two are quite a pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should have seen it in person... ;)

      Delete
  2. You couldn't pay me enough to go to Ikea on the weekends! You girls are crazy!
    Glad this trip was more productive and that you were able to make that impulse purchase. Having tall friends is always a plus. ;)
    These trips are always the most hilarious with me and my friends.
    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We WERE crazy to try it on a Saturday...never again!!!

      Delete
  3. Baaahaaaaa....very funny post!!! You two are Ikea nuts:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you! Ikea absolutely scares me on the weekends!! I am so glad that you were able to schedule a new trip so that you could take your time and breath!!! Your room is looking awesome! I can't wait to see the transformation!!! I just got a fiddle leaf fig from there too!! Gotta love shopping buddies...hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thanks! How is your fiddle-leaf fig faring (yay for alliteration!) so far? I'm afraid I'm going to kill it, thanks to my notorious black thumb.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, we've made the weekend Ikea trip before too, except for us it was on the same stinking weekend at the Denver stores grand opening! Horrible, I'm scared for life.
    Your couch is lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! I shudder to think what a grand opening weekend must be like. Wow!

      Delete
  6. Hilarious! I've made that mistake as well. Never again! Tall friends are very handy to have around (says the 5'3" shortie). Great sofa - would love to see room pics when everything is in it's place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to show you guys! Actually...I jsut can't wait to finish it! I am the Slowest. Decorator. Ever. It took me seven weeks to pick out a paint color. (And after all is said and done, it basically looks white. Ha.)

      Delete
  7. I agree, it's actually hell on a Saturday. I have actually walked my kids through the store too. Big mistake. They can't stand it there. I'm glad your second experience was better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were sooo many kids when we went on Saturday. I couldn't figure out why anyone would bring their kids into that kind of insanity -- unless they just didn't realize what they were walking into.

      Delete
  8. You brave women a weekend I have a hard time convincing myself to go on a weekday first thing in the morning. I have found the best way to do my Ikea shopping if I don't want anything to large is to give my friend my list and the money she doesn't mind the crowds or parking or should I say the circling like I do. Sounds like you got what you wanted so that makes it worth it in the end I think.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see what you do to that room. I love your style.

    Never visited one. I'm not sure Missouri even HAS one. It's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I can't wait for it to be DONE!

      Chicago is probably the closest to you. Might be worth the drive sometime! :)

      Delete
  10. That sofa is perfect and loved hearing about the two different experiences. IKEA on the weekend should include a trip to a bar afterward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Actually, they should just add a bar to IKEA itself. Problem solved. ;)

      Delete
  11. What a great story! It reminds me of the horrific "trip to the LLBean flagship store in the middle of the day, at the height of tourist season" ABSOLUTELY NO WHERE to park. Roughly 10 million people, I think. Huge marital discord. Word of advice - go to LLBean at night - they're open 24 hours a day, why not?

    I also have been hankering after a loveseat or "chair and a half from IKEA". It is either a long drive or crossing the the Canada/US border. I wonder if it will fit in a Toyota Prius? My husband says "no", but he has poor judgement (his idea to go to Bean - see above).

    Your sofa is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane! And so funny about the LL Bean story! I wish IKEA were open 24 hours...now there's an idea! :) BTW: I found out that the furniture items on the IKEA web site list dimensions of the packed boxes, so you can (in theory) measure your car and figure out if they'll fit. The packaged dimensions are way down near the bottom of the item info, below the regular dimensions.

      Delete
    2. Good plan!!!

      ......altho I'm sure my husband will think of some other reason it can't be done. (he does not share my feelings about needing a loveseat)

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...