Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Heartbroken

My little brother was about 7 or 8 years old the first time we saw my dad run the Boston Marathon. I remember how excited we were to watch for the winner, to spot the first woman finisher, and then to watch for my dad. I remember my mom seeming a little stressed -- probably worried about my Dad, as she always did during races, but also struggling to keep an antsy and excited little boy from climbing the barriers, jumping in the street, sitting on the curb.

When I heard about the little boy who was killed in yesterday's attack in Boston, it was my brother's face from long ago that I saw in my mind. I felt like someone punched me.

Marathons are beautiful. If you've never been to one, please don't let this deter you; check one out sometime. It's athleticism in its purest form -- one person struggling against him or herself to do something most people can't do. It's one of the only sporting events where elite athletes and weekend warriors take part in the same event, competing against one another. The comaraderie is amazing -- among the runners, but also among the crowd. I don't know many other times where people will line the streets of an entire city to cheer on complete strangers. The positive energy is intoxicating. Ordinary people get to be heroes for a day.

I know that Boston and the marathon will bounce back. Beauty and goodness always prevails over evil. I'm grateful that my blogging friend Beatriz and her family, who were at the event yesterday, are safe. I'm grateful for the first responders and all those who helped in the midst of terror, and I know that the grief and fear will fade. Today, though, I can't help but be brokenhearted for all of those affected, especially that little 8 year old boy who was waiting to see his hero cross the finish line.








10 comments:

  1. Very insightful post. I'm heartbroken at well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am heartbroken. Well written post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Heather. You wrote a powerful post. Thank you for sharing yourself. I don't have anything like the Boston Marathon to compare to but having watched my own "kids" and your dad run, I can't imagine what the horror of it all would have been like if we had been in that kind of situation. Prayers to the families of the injured, the dead, and all the bystanders that watched in horror that will be forever traumatized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully written. What an unspeakable tragedy. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this post, you have written what I tried to and failed to do. I am still shaken and I cry when I think of all the victims. What was to be a wonderful day for many is now a tragedy. We will be back. We love Boston and we know Boston is greater than the cowards behind this event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good post. I had my entire day planned, and half-carried out, when it happened. My day quickly melted into me sitting on the couch crying in front of the tv. I can't speak for others, but for me, it's stopped being just the individual event. All of these events are being stacked and it's overwhelming - all that loss.

    and people still seek each other out, we still come together. We aren't broken. I feel sad, and grateful/hopeful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right...Goodness always wins over evil....runners running to donate blood..people rushing to help others...we care and we will not be taken down by the bad. Remember to see the simple beauty and the good in the world...it is all around...I am praying for all who have been affected by this...may God carry them to a safe place. Thank you for your beautiful post friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only been here for 4 months, but I already feel like Boston is my home. This is so sad. I am so shocked. But this beautiful city will overcome this horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anathalia, I didn't realize you're in Boston now. It must be so much more real for you. Boston will indeed overcome this! Take care!

      Delete
  9. Agreed, beauty and goodness will always prevail.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...