Sunday, March 24, 2013

Thrift Report: White Out

It's almost April, and we're predicted to get about 9" of snow here in Indy overnight.  ALMOST APRIL!  Extremely disheartening for a warm-weather loving person like me. For the record, we were experiencing 80 degree temperatures around this time last year. I can only hope that sunny skies and balmy temps are on the horizon soon...

Meanwhile, in honor of winter's (hopefully) last blast, here are some white items I've thrifted over the last several months. I didn't do any thrifting this weekend (yeah!) so instead I'm sharing some past finds.

I've picked up quite a bit of Fenton hobnail milk glass over the last few weeks. I love hobnail and its classic, cottage-y feel. If I had room for one more collection, this would be it!




 


 
 It seems like the people who price milk glass in many thrifts don't know the difference between better milk glass and really run-of-the-mill pieces, so I got most of these for great prices.

I also found a couple of Early American Pyrex fridgies:


I don't buy a lot of Pyrex for the shop. I love it, but I mostly keep it for personal use when I find it for a good price. These fridgies, though, are so teeny and cute that I might list them.





Finally, I found this "Go Navy" placard a while back. It's got some chipping and rust, but I think it's charming. I love the retro font.

That's my quick thrift report for this week. I'll be sharing one more exciting white item a little later this week, so be sure to check back!

Participating in these link-ups:

The Nifty Thrifty at A Living Space
Junkin' Joe at Cottage Market
Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
The Weekly Thrift at Young Heart Old Soul
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House

25 comments:

  1. OHHH.....I love the milk glass Heather...lovely pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every last piece of that hobnail. Unfortunately, our thrifts think it's gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of ours do too, but some are obviously clueless. I like the clueless ones. ;)

      Delete
  3. Great finds Heather! I really love the Go Navy licence plate. Just curious how do you tell the difference between quality and lesser quality hobnail? the thrifts I visit have heaps of it and I'm always tempted to buy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Astrid! Most of the hobnail I see is pretty good quality. For milk glass in general, you can tell a lot by the quality of the glass. The better pieces are often thicker, shinier, more opaque. Over time, you kind of learn to recognize the patterns of the better manufacturers like Fenton and Westmoreland. They didn't make THAT many different patterns, so you become familiar with them and able to pick them out pretty quickly.

      Delete
  4. I never tire of Hobnail. It's a classic. You have such great taste. I have a hard time parting with small pyrex fridgies. They keep the fridge so nice and tidy. Have a good week. See you soon with more thrifting reports. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sweet; thanks! :) I agree on fridgies; they look so much better and are so much more fun than plastic, aren't they??

      Delete
  5. Your hobnail is awesome! I love every piece you scored! Just stunning!!! It is snowing here now! BOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! We're up to ten inches now...UGH! On the bright side, some random guys just stopped by and offered to shovel my super long driveway for twenty bucks, so I guess things are looking up. ;)

      Delete
  6. I don't know anything about milk glass, shame on me. Your pictures of the hobnail are gorgeous, I can understand why you would want to collect them. Looking forward to your other white item. I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beatriz. The hobnail is really kind of "frilly" so I am surprised I love it so much, but I do. I am a jadeite collector, and I probably love it because it's kind of the white version of jadeite!

      Delete
  7. Lovely Milk Glass, Heather! Nice finds! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates milk glass!

      Delete
  8. Love the milk glass pieces especially the one in the second photo - so delicate looking. Will you be selling your "Go Navy" placard in your store? Love it - my husband was in the Navy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think the second piece is my favorite, too. Yes, I'll be listing the Go Navy sign soon -- hopefully this week! :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely finds! I can't pick a favorite since they're all wonderful :)

    Enjoy your Monday.

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Fenton Hobnail a lot too. I can find lots of the not so nice milk glass for cheap but it's harder to find the better stuff at reasonable prices here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- it's hit and miss here, too, but lately I've seen the nicer pieces priced really low and the not-so-nice pieces way overpriced. (Which is good for me! :)

      Delete
  11. Love the Hobnail photos, which is something I know nothing about. I see tons of what to me looks similar at the thrifts, but I could not tell a difference between that and the dollar store variety, lol. Also, I have fridgies just like those - love them, partly because of the cat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. milk glass is as rare as hens teeth here so am rather envious of your finds! go on...start collecting it!...whats one more collection? x

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...