Sunday, March 31, 2013

Thrift Report: Some Recent Favorites


 
Hello thrifty friends!  I did so-so this week on my half-hearted resolution to cut back on thrifting.  I did thrift a little bit, but only came home with a couple of things, and nothing too spectacular. Instead, I'll show you a few things I found over the last few months that I haven't had a chance to post on the blog until now.

Back around Thanksgiving, I found a large amount of a gorgeous vintage Jacobean fabric. It's heavy weight - somewhere between a drapery and an upholstery weight - and in mint condition.  I stashed it away and forgot about it until last week, when I came across it and decided to make a couple of pillows.


I don't think the photo really does the fabric justice; it's a pale ivory background with pretty, bright jewel tones (maroon, green, lapis, turquoise). I just love it. I originally intended to use these in my living room, but I'm in the process of redecorating and already have my heart set on a completely different fabric, so I'll probably list these in the shop. Besides, there's plenty more of this fabric left over!

Next, some of my favorite vintage brass finds from recent weeks. {You know how I love brass, right?}



One of my favorites from this bunch is this art nouveau-style solid brass compote. I love the detail.


The lazy susan/cake stand (underneath the vase) was an interesting find. It's brass plated and swivels on its stand. I love the ornate edge. How amazing would this look with a wedding cake on top? It actually reminds me of a cake stand my mom made for my brother's wedding from a vintage tray and a crystal base.


My favorite find of this lot is this solid brass box.  I'm not sure if it was originally some sort of super glam utility/tool box, a file box, or what. It's just plain brass on the inside, so I don't think it was a jewelry box. Nonetheless, I adore it. I know it would sell quickly in the shop, but I think I have to keep it. I just have to!


That's it from this neck of the woods. Did you score anything great this week?  Can't wait to see!

Linking up here:

The Pennyworthy Project
The Nifty Thrifty
Creative Mondays
Make It Pretty Mondays
Magpie Mondays
A Blossoming Life
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Knick of Time Tuesday
Tweak it Tuesday

25 comments:

  1. I just love to visit different blogs and see how many different things we have managed to find. I think that compote is stunning, but I also understand how you must feel about the box. Keep it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beatriz. I feel okay about keeping the box because instead of adding to my clutter, it will help contain it. How's that for justification?? :)

      Delete
  2. LOVE that compote and box! I'd be snatching those up too!

    Do we get to see the redecorated living area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and YES...eventually. Still in the paiting phase, which might last a while.

      Delete
  3. The fabric looks gorgeous on the pillows, and I love all the brass. The box is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovin' that pretty fabric...and all the brass is really nice.
    I love thrifting but since we are moving, I have NOT been thrifting...I have taken loads of stuff to Goodwill and it feels good to have clean cabinets and hutches. 'Course, when we get all settled in our new place, the thrift bug will start biting again, I'll bet. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to move! :) there's nothing better than moving for getting things cleaned out. I've been in my current house five years, so it's ready for some decluttering. Maybe I can just PRETEND I'm moving!! LOL

      Delete
  5. Hey ya lady! Your brass pieces literally made me drool! Ha! There are insane! And the pillows you made are gorgeous! Great stuff! I hope that you had a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I hope you had a wonderful weekend, too. It's finally starting to warm up here -- hope the same is true for Chicago!

      Delete
  6. The brass pieces are very nice finds and so is that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pieces are so stunning. I do love the little handled trays with the bamboo fencing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. I love those too, and they are consistently great sellers in my shop, so I guess we're not alone!

      Delete
  8. Always classy brassy (couldn't resist, haha) I love how you stage it all. Great eye. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather, if you don't mind I have a question about brass. You (obviously) have, and sell, a lot of it. It always looks glorious. I am slowly getting ready to open an Etsy shop; I have a few pieces of brass...........

    The question is: TO POLISH OR NOT TO POLISH?

    I have always heard that it is sacrilege to polish the patina off any metal. I am starting to question this....I polish my silver jewellery all the time. I personally think that most of the brass I have could be greatly improved with a little polishing and cleaning. I'm thinking in particular of some vases that have been very marred by the thrift shop putting sticky labels on them that would not come off cleanly. If I clean the gunk of them, I will have to clean the whole thing.

    What do you do? Your brass always looks so eye-catching?

    Thanks so much,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane. First, that's so exciting about your Etsy shop! Let me know when it's open!

      The brass polishing issue is complicated for me. :) I used to be a die-hard polisher, but now it depends. If it's "pretty tarnish" -- even, a nice golden color - then I usually leave it alone. but sometimes it's just dull and brown, or blotchy and ugly, which compels me to break out the Brasso. I rarely polish truly antique pieces, and I avoid polishing really ornate things because it's so hard to get into all the crevices and such. All of that said, I'm not sure it matters for resale. I see things with tons of ugly tarnish sell all the time on Etsy, so it may just be a personal preference. With the sticker residue situation, I would probably break down and polish.

      I actually like the look of tarnished silver more than brass, since it sometimes has kind of a mercury glass look to it, yet I try to polish silver as much as possible since tarnish on silver is actually damaging.

      I hope that helps! Sometimes the determining factor is time, more than anything. It's so time-consuming to polish metal that sometimes I have no choice but to leave things as they are. :)

      Delete
    2. Hello Heather! That is a great help. I do agree - polishing an antique may not be the best idea, but I think I will have a try polishing a few things. The Brasso is right here, ready to go.

      I will let you know when I get the shop going. I have only just begun to have any free time in my life.......and....as I know YOU know....this is a lot of work! Such a lot of fun though.

      Regards,

      Jane

      Delete
  10. Hey, Heather! I am stopping by to tell you that I love your finds and your blog so much that I nominated you for a Liebster award! Check out my blog for details. http://pinkgerberdaisies-kady.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you're so sweet Kady; thanks! I'll head over to your blog shortly!

      Delete
  11. The fabric is so dreamy and the brass is perfectly fantastic! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on in and grab a feature button for your blog. Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...