Thursday, March 28, 2013

New {Old} Desk Chair

I promised you another post about something white that I bought last weekend, so here we go!


A while back, I shared my shopping list for an upcoming IKEA trip.One of the things on my "maybe" list for that trip was this white leather desk chair:


I had a ton of other stuff to buy that trip and at close to $150 I wasn't sure if it would fit in the budget (or the car!). I tried out the chair while I was there and ended up LOVING it - super comfy and cute in person - but I didn't buy it. It went on my "to buy next trip" list instead.

 
I wanted the chair to replace the current chair in my guest room/office. I have a Paul McCobb Planner Group desk and chair -- one of my favorite thrift finds EVER.



I bought it at a secondhand furniture store in 1999 for $40. It's rare to find these desks with their original chairs, so I'm thrilled to have it and will never break up the set, but that chair is a torture device! It's hard as a rock, completely non-adjustable, and makes me lose feeling in my legs after sitting in it for ten minutes. . .the edges of that thing are literally sharp!

Cut to last week:  I was aimlessly browsing Craigslist when I happened to spot a white leather desk chair with chrome legs that looked somewhat similar to the IKEA version. Price? $30!  I emailed the owner pretty quickly and arranged to pick it up on Saturday.

I'm soooo happy with my purchase! Here it is with the desk:





It's cushy and adjustable and pretty - just what I wanted!  I think I actually like the style of this chair a bit better than the IKEA one, too, plus it's definitely better quality.  The McCobb chair is safely stored in the attic for now. I miss the look of it a little, but I'm sure I'll adjust. :)  What do you think?







Sharing here:

Consider Me Inspired 
Designed Decor
Photobucket

25 comments:

  1. Wait, what! My head exploded after reading something about a Paul McCobb Planner Group desk and chair for $40! When it comes to seating it has to be comfy. It definitely works and it gets triple bonus points for being a CL score!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francine! And back when I found the desk and original chair, my head pretty much exploded too. It was in the front window of a junky furniture store and I almost crashed the car as I drove by and spotted it! Ha.

      Delete
  2. I love the chair and it looks so great with your desk! It looks really comfy and like it would be the perfect desk chair. Such a wonderful find!

    Visiting from The Charm of Home :)
    Tammy
    ourneckofthewoods.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! I was just over checking out your blog!

      Delete
  3. That chair is soooo much better than the IKEA version - which I have seen in so many offices. Yours is "uniquer" ;-) Seriously, that is one good-looking desk-chair combo, good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! :) I'm also not sure if the IKEA version is real leather or not (probably not) so I was excited that this one was.

      Delete
  4. Well it' s gorgeous, looks comfy and was such a good deal!

    I'll have to try out the Ikea chair next time I'm in there. I definitely need a new office chair. I'm sitting on a pillow it's so hard and uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Manuela. I tried adding a pillow to my old "chair of torture" and it really didn't help me, either! :)

      Delete
  5. Great find! Actually like it better, too. Do u know where it came from? Brand, etc? I live in cincy and was at ikea last night. Still cant get past the meatball/horsemeat thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I forgot about the meatballs! :). The guy I bought it from said he ordered it from an office furniture place a couple years ago. I haven't been able to figure out a maker/brand.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Heather, it looks very high quality and in great shape; you got a great deal! absolutely love your sight.

      Delete
  6. I like the one you found better too, what a beautiful room! I just followed your blog on Google Friend Connect. I hope you can follow mine too over at http://twentysomethingbows.blogspot.com/. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO, yes, ma'am...that chair is PERFECT with your adorable desk. Love it together. And, now...the feeling in your legs will THANK YOU!! :))
    Over from Common Ground

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find! It looks comfy and so stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good find Heather! I have such an uncomfortable chair, too. I bought a laptop instead of buying a new desk chair. I figure I'll just move to the couch. Enjoy the chair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this story! the chair is both gorgeous and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a find! It looks in perfect shape! It's great to know you saved so mcuh money! Thanks for linking up to Talkin’ About Thursday link party. I hope you will come back this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really lovely chair! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the chair AND the desk. I'm currently using a wooden kitchen chair as my office chair. Not ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice and charming ideas,with decent color scheme.Luxury Beds and Mattresses

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hire wooden chair, event chair, chiavari chair, led bar, vintage chair, artificial tree, eames chair for Weddings, reception parties, Corporate Events, special occasions or Shows.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...