Monday, March 4, 2013

Thrift Report: Stoned

Happy Monday!

I thrifted like mad this weekend -  mostly at Goodwill since it was 50% off day. It was cr-a-z-y; worse than usual. I think people were coming out in droves to combat cabin fever or something, because I waited in line a full hour at every store I visited. I also saw two people almost end up in a fist-fight over a hanging rattan egg chair, and one of them was a 60-something woman. It was both horrifying and entertaining. (One's definition of "entertaining" broadens significantly after the first 45 minutes of standing in line...)

Here are just a few of my finds; I have lots more that I haven't photographed yet! You guys know how I love a theme...so I decided to photograph my "stone" finds first. I found an inordinate amount of alabaster/marble/stone items this week. They made for some heavy shopping bags, let me tell ya!




A cute little letter sorter with a marble and lucite base.



I've found these bookends before -- always in singles (*sigh*) -- but I loved this pink coloration of this one.


While not them most exciting find in the world, I thought this little marble-based brass pen holder would add a touch of glam to a desktop. And maybe help me keep track of my pen, which is perpetually missing...


I am so in love with this soapstone lion sculpture!  I was devastated when I noticed the chip in his mane, but decided to bring him home anyway. I just couldn't leave him behind.


These guys were one of my favorite finds. Heavy marble eagle bookends. The lines are so elegant, aren't they? I can't quite figure out why the two bases are different.


Did you do any thrifting this week?  This may be my last hurrah for a while, since we've got some scary winter weather heading our way. Good thing I have all the rest of my finds from this past weekend to keep me busy!


I'm participating in the following link-ups:

The Nifty Thrifty at A Living Space
Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Junkin' Joe at The Cottage Market
The Weekly Thrift at Young Heart Old Soul
Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House


redrosevintage


signature

42 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by! You scored some very classy stuff on your thrift outing! A gorgeous horse head...why are they never found in pairs at thrift stores!? I rescued mine from a burn pile and painted it white. I really love them made out of stone too. And that little pen holder would look fab on my desk ;) Have a great day. LOVE your blog look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sherry, for your sweet comment! I have another set of chipped plaster horse heads that I'm going to paint soon. I just can't decide on a color. I hope mine turn out as well as yours!

      Delete
  2. The soapstone lion is awesome and I love the letter sorter. Not that I would have known what it was if I saw it. I would have fought for the chair too. Glad you got entertained a bit during the long wait. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chair was awesome. I was seriously considering entering the fray and going for it myself, but I resisted. ;)

      Delete
  3. Fantastic letter holder - I have a thing for those, I don't know why. And those bookends are just swoon worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Heather, please let me know when you are ready to sell the lion! I have a similar one that belonged to my parents, and I will like to make it a pair! Great finds as usual, the bookend is FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beatriz, I would love for you to have the lion! Consider it yours. I'll message you later today.

      Delete
  5. lots of good stuff! Our thrift stores have been PACKED with people and the prices are SO SO HIGH!! wow--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...the high prices seem to be a trend everywhere. Depressing!

      Delete
  6. Love that lion! I would not have left him behind either. And the letter sorter is a score as is the horse bookend. Really nice finds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHHHHHH... that lion is to die for!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you know i am going to tell you how great that little lion is! and the tiny "imperfection" makes him all the more special - a true one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Imperfections like that really don't bother me when it's something I'm not selling. I think they add character!

      Delete
  9. Fab finds! The lion is wonderful and I wouldn't have been able to resist bringing him home as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Office type items get me every time! Love that pen holder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Not sure what that's about but I am totally addicted to office supplies, new and old.

      Delete
  11. I spent the entire weekend thrifting - it was c-razy here, too. It's like all of a sudden everyone wants to thrift (not sure if I like that... I'm greedy with treasures). :)
    Your finds are beautiful and classic! I would have taken the lion home, too, despite the crack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the fence about the crowds, too...way too much competition! :)

      Delete
  12. Love the lion! For personal use, I don't mind a tiny chip or two.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the letter holder! It would be cute for displaying homemade cards as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice finds! But, you are a more patient woman than I... standing in line for an hour, multiple times... you are such a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if the word is "patient" or "crazy"...LOL.

      Delete
  15. Great finds! I really like the letter sorter- I'm on the hunt for something like that to hold receipts. Crazy lineups you had to endure! You are one patient thrifter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found SO much stuff, it almost made the long waits worthwhile, though I was definitely tempted to give up and walk away a few times!

      Delete
  16. The lion! the lion! It's an awesome lion!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The lion is fantastic, chip or not! And I love the eagle bookends. Standing in line, not my favorite activity, but that does sound entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The "hanging chair fight" definitely added some interest! LOL

      Delete
  18. Ooohhh I do love that pink bookend also! Great scores! Newest follower and thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I guess one good thing about only having tiny charity shops around here is that I've never waited more than a few minutes at the counter, not even on half price days. Usually I don't have to wait at all. I'd love to find some bookends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true!:) It only happens this way on half off days, thank goodness. Otherwise I'd never do any thrifting!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...