Wednesday, February 13, 2013

IKEA Shopping List


I'm going to IKEA! I'm going to IKEEEEEEA! 

Rarely will you see me more euphoric than when I'm anticipating an IKEA trip. Maybe before the World's Longest Yard Sale or the grand opening of a new antique store, but that's about it.

So when my cousin Kendra proposed an IKEA trip a few weeks ago, I couldn't scream "I'M IN!" fast enough. Our closest IKEA is about 2.5 hours east, in Cincinnati, which is just far enough that it's a pain to get there when you factor in midwestern tendencies towards snow/ice/tornado warnings/torential rains/tire-melting heat/no-zone action/plagues of locusts. There are pretty much about 4 days a year that the weather cooperates enough to make the drive, but by God, this Saturday's going to be one of them (fingers crossed!).

I try to get there at least once a year, but this time it's actually been two years since I've had a fix. Consequently,  my shopping list is a bit long. Here's what's made the cut so far:




Tradklover Fabric. Kind of reminds me of a poor man's Les Touches -- doesn't it? Okay not really. But kind of!

Oh, Billy bookcase, you eternal classic.

I'm not sure if I'll attempt to hack you, paint you, extend you, glass-door you...but my book collection is definitely taking over the house, so purchasing a few of you is a necessity!


I stock up on these Tekla dish towels every time I visit! They're so simple in a very "French countryside" kind of way. I see the price has gone up by 30 cents...gasp! :)
Since it's been two years, my supply is dwindling and I can't wait to replenish it!


I reeeeeally want this Skruvsta chair, but I'm not sure if it's in the budget this trip. Still, I can certainly sit in it, swivel around, and ponder buying it, right?



This is my all-time second favorite door mat -- and I already own it. But I live in fear that it will one day wear out, and it's only $9.99, so I'm buying a spare!

And this is my all-time first favorite door mat, the Trampa (love the name! ha).  I also own this one, and I meticulously step around it instead of wiping my feet on it, such is my love for it.

So yes, a spare of this one is coming home with me as well!


I've only seen this Farglav duvet set in the catalog, and things can look really different in person, but just via the photo I am a tad obsessed.


In totally reminds me of Jenna Lyons' bedding from her iconic bedroom as featured in Domino:


I'm not sure if I'll actually buy it, since it doesn't match my color scheme at ALL and I have about four duvet sets already, but I still can't wait to see it in person.

On the "maybe, if I don't blow my whole budget on other random stuff I pick up while wandering the showroom" list, are these PS 2012 side tables.

I only like the ones with the flat tops, and I'd probably paint out the frames with gold, but I love the simple lines and white surfaces. 


And last but not least, I am dying over this image of IKEA Algort fabric I spotted on Pinterest via Bright Bazaar Blog.


Word on the street is that it won't be in stores until April, but you'd better believe I'll be scouring those fabric shelves just in case!


That's it for my list....so far!  Do you have any IKEA faves that I should check out?  Are you a fan?


Today I'm participating in Whatever You Want Wednesday. Check it out!
signature

25 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing what you buy at Ikea! It's funny I live 5 minutes from the largest Ikea in Canada and I rarely go except for dinner:) my son loves the meatballs and I love that they serve wine and micro beers!!
    Enjoy your shopping trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky...ours does NOT serve wine or beer!!! People who live close to IKEA always tell me they never go, and those of us who live far away tend to be obsessed with it, in my experience. :) When I lived in DC years ago (where there is an IKEA) I almost never went!

      Delete
  2. My closest IKEA is also 2.5 hours away, and I have about the same reaction as you when I know that we are FINALLY going - and it is also a pretty good place to bring the kids. I just love to browse for all the great design ideas as well. And like you, I always stock up on kitchen linens :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's such a great place to get ideas, isn't it? I go all out and do the ENTIRE showroom tour when I go. I drive my shopping companions crazy. :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky! Our closest is 4 hrs. away so it is a large PIA. Love you shopping list...have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For many years, our closest one was over 4 hours away, so I sympathize! I had an all-out celebration back when the Cincinnati location opened a few years ago. I guess I should count my blessings! ;)

      Delete
  6. i always create a 'wish list' and get inspiration from ikea catalouges and websites but when i get to the store nine times out of ten i will change my mind and fall in love with something different. oh, ikea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Chrissy, me too...it's totally possible that none of the above will actually come home with me. Things look so different in person, and there's always the issue of things being out of stock, too! We'll see how it goes. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh!!! I got very excited just seeing your post! I love IKEA! It takes us 2 1/2 hours to get there if traffic cooperates. Love your picks! We remodeled our kitchen a couple years ago with IKEA cabinets (and before that a bathroom) and we live too far for them to deliver, so over a few months we made several trips. Such a good excuse, because of course we came home with more than boxes of cabinets, LOL! It's been awhile since we've been there...time for a road trip soon. Don't forget to post what you buy later...please. :) Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I love IKEA kitchens! I am planning to check out the countertops when I'm there, too. What IKEA do you go to in VA? I used to shop at the Potomac Mills location when I lived in DC. Ours here is smaller, but still fun!

      Delete
    2. Potomac Mills is where we go! We make the trip from southeast VA.

      We also have the poang chairs...our TV watching chairs, so comfy!

      Delete
  8. Yes! I know the IKEA excitement. Ours is a very doable 40 minutes away - and my friend and I have a whole routine for getting there and back on a weekday during schooltime to allow for maximum browsing and a stop in to the cafe.

    Last trip I brought home the Hemnes skinny cupboard - for books, doncha' know! Hardest decision was color - white or natural, etc. (I went with the white)

    Have FUN!! (and may the weather go your way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I love the whole Hemnes line. I am tempted to go that route instead of the Billy bookcases, but I think the Billy is significantly cheaper and I need quite a few. Then again, I am the queen of changing my mind so we'll see!

      Delete
    2. I was waffling between the same two lines! Only needing the one I talked myself into the costlier of the two. I do like how the Billy has an upper unit available that can extend it to fill closer to the ceiling.

      Delete
  9. We sound alike! We live about 4.5 hours from our closest Ikea and we go at least once a year. We just were there last month to buy our kitchen cabinets for our latest remodeling project. Love me some Ikea!! Thankfully a few of the doors were not in stock so we will have to go back next month to pick those up. Geessh. Twist my arm already! We have a new shopping list going already...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh drat...so sorry you are forced to go back so soon! ;) It's so unfair that some of us live so far away from this shopping mecca, isn't it?

      Delete
  10. Your speaking my language! I have to be prepared before I go to Ikea or my brain goes on overload!!! I spotted some cool outside pieces as well! Good luck on your trip...let us know how ya do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeaaalous! Can't wait to see everything you bring home! Will need a post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I told my husband a great date would be going to Ikea, without kids. He laughed, but I wasn't joking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE good pilgrimage to IKEA as well. I need some storage cabinets, work desk, small couch fabric, and picture frames! Even if I end up not getting anything it's so inspiring just to walk through the show rooms for small-space storage solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your list is wonderful. I completely understand when you describe it as an epic journey. We have one fairly close - but it entails crossing the border (from Canada to the USA) My daughter goes all the time, but it seems SO much trouble and I never seem to have the time or the energy. The nearest Canadian store is quite a trek! I'm inspired though, by your plans - maybe I'll go too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great choices. Love that last fabric. We have an Ikea not too far, but I don't go anymore. Takes too long to walk through and the kids are always irritated by it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My nearest IKEA is an 8 hour drive away. Alas. I live in the boonies of north Ontario. But I drool over the IKEA catalogue when it arrives each year. I'm currently obsessed with a turquoise kitchen cart.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...