Monday, January 28, 2013

Thrift Report: Plenty for Twenty [One]

Greetings friends!  Apologies for the sparse blogging of late; I was waylaid with a nasty little bug called Norovirus - basically a supercharged stomach flu. It's apparently spreading at an epidemic rate across the country, and I was one of the lucky ones to pick it up.

I'm finally back in the land of the living, but needless to say I haven't done much thrifting the last couple of weeks. In fact, I didn't venture into a thrift or vintage shop until this past Saturday - possibly a record for me!  This little thrift break coincides nicely with my goal to reduce spending in January (I know, I know...that's everyone's post-holiday goal, right?!).

I wasn't even going to thrift on Saturday, but I was RIGHT there, and it had been SO long. I decided to limit myself to $20 as a precaution, lest I go crazy from thrifting withdrawal.

I managed to do pretty well with that $20!  Here's most of it:


Not bad, eh?

I picked up this near-mint condition set of Culver tumblers. They would add some serious glam to a bar cart, wouldn't they?




Next, I snagged another of those Federal-style Syroco mirrors, this one with a faux-copper finish:

 
I can't even explain how difficult it is to photograph a mirror without capturing either yourself, your camera, or your nosy dog in the shot. Some major acrobatics were involved here.


Yes, this looks like a dirty, slightly off-canter marble paper towel holder. And it is. But I have exciting plans for it, which I will detail soon in a separate post, I promise!




I forgot to include this piece in my group shot:


I love mid-century magazine racks, and this one is no exception. I think the brassy, curlique style would look so cute in a girl's bedroom.


Regular readers, your eyes do not deceive you. I found yet another black panther! 


This one is significantly smaller than the one I found in December, but it has those piercing green jeweled eyes. Instant love!

Here he is with his (ahem) older brother. Aren't they handsome?  I know, I know...I'm a weirdo for being obsessed with panther sculptures, but I can't help it. I've told myself that I must list at least ONE of them in the shop ASAP.  And I'll get right on that...


I picked up a full set of eight (!) delicate, gold-embossed glasses. I love the chevron-esque band and the monogram. Except that I can't for the life of me tell what letter it's supposed to be....fancy "L"? Backwards "B"?  Any guesses?



And lastly, a vintage Princess phone! I am always soooo envious of my fellow vintage bloggers who seem to find cool vintage telephones at every turn, because I never find them - until now! 

 

This one appeared to be in rough shape on the thrift shop shelf, with decades of caked-on grime and a tangly black cord. For $1.99, though, I took a risk.

When I got it home, I discovered it was in perfect working order and just needed a good scrubbing. I've got a new ivory cord on order and it'll be good as new!  The best thing about this phone, though, is the feel of it - the weight in your hand; the springiness of the buttons; the way the receiver fits to your ear like no smart phone ever could. I'm tellin' you, it's tempting me to get a land line again just so I can sit around and gossip about boys with my BFF for hours on end.



The grand total for all this loot?



A cool $21.00.   I missed my goal by a dollar, but if you don't count the sales tax I totally made it. And besides, I figured it was good luck to end up with a total that was a round number. (See all the crazy ways I justify my thrifting habit??)

Hope you all had a fantastic week of thrifting!
signature
Linking up to the following parties:
The Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge at Young House Love
The Weekly Thrift at Young Heart Old Soul
The Nifty Thrifty at A Living Space
Junkin' Joe at The Cottage Market




44 comments:

  1. Fantastic post! I'm glad you are feeling better, not fun to be sick ( even if it helps to save money)
    I can't believe you found all that for $20! Glassware always does well in the store, and both of your sets are mint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beatriz! Yes, I really lucked out on the $20 thing...all of the glassware was 50% off which helped. :) Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that you are on the mend. Wow, that is an amazing haul for $20! Love the Culver and the black panther is the perfect companion to his big brother. Thanks so much for dropping by L'Heure Bleue At Home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great haul for $20! I really like the glasses.
    And thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Jo, Lost Property Vintage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, I don't count sales tax either. ;) You did an amazing job! I can't believe you got all that cool stuff for that price. I am loving that mirror! I know what you mean about photographing mirrors, though. I have been there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- I love those mirrors too but they're not really the right style for my house, so I have to let them go. Probably a good thing! :)

      Delete
  5. Glad you are feeling better Heather and I adore the phone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice haul! Love that you found a second panther - you must have had some serious thrift karma credit. And glad you are feeling better too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks..."thrift karma credit." -- I like that! :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome finds for that total! I love that vintage phone and the Culver tumblers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cally! I felt very lucky to find them!

      Delete
  8. I love that phone! I know what you mean about the weight of the receiver on the old style phones, it makes a satisfying 'clunk' when you put it back after a call

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHOA! You did very well! They must price glass sets cheaper in your neck of the woods. They price them separately here and usually are pretty proud of the good kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) It's all over the board...I've seen individual glasses priced at 3.99--for nothing special! And yet these were all marked 49 cents each. You just never know around here.

      Delete
  10. Brilliant finds! Love all the glasses - how fantastic to get everything for that price. And absolutely understand what you mean about having to be some kind of contortionist to photograph mirrors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this issue! ;)

      Delete
  11. I'm intrigued by what you're going to do with the holder. I thought of you this weekend when I saw a black panther like yours! If it hadn't been priced so high, I would have grabbed it. Great haul at a great price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you saw a panther too?! I'm glad I wasn't there; I would have probably WAY overpaid for it!

      Delete
  12. Glad to hear you are feeling better! That virus is nasty:( You found some pretty neat things. Love everything...especially the mirror and princess phone. Can't wait to see how you transform the marble paper towel holder!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS a nasty virus! Hopefully I'm now immune for rest of the season....thanks for stopping by, Astrid!

      Delete
  13. you inspire me! i have not thrifted once during the month of january and i was going to give myself a valentine's gift of a thift trip (i spoil myself!) but now i think i will also include a $20 limit... it seems to bring great luck. ;) the magazine rack is definitely my favorite of your finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissy! Way to abstain from thrifting all month...I don't think I've ever made it that long!

      Delete
  14. Not bad at all for 21 bucks!! I always tell myself I'm not going to thrift and then give in... It's an addiction I tell ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. My name is Heather and I'm a thriftaholic.

      Delete
  15. I am obsessed with those phones. I would have one in every room in my house. They bring back some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. I have been hearing the siren call of the in-home landline ever since I bought it.

      Delete
  16. I can't tell you how many times I have set myself a thrift limit---and then promptly went over it, haha!! Love the phone and those tumblers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tilda! I rarely stay within the parameters I set for myself, either. This was a minor miracle. ;)

      Delete
  17. I love those blue and gold tumblers! And the princess phone is so cool! I have an old rotary dial desk phone that I blinged up (after a good cleaning). You can see it in the slide show at my Etsy shop here -
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/SparkleParkDesigns/about/

    It's fun using the dial, but you have to really know the phone number, not just a pattern on the keypad.

    I'm visiting from Young Heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh Val I checked out your phone--so fun! Love your shop, too! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  18. I love it when you clean something and it looks amazing!!!! Your expectations start out so low!!! AWeosme haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True - and it's so little financial risk! One of the joys of thrifting.

      Delete
  19. Way to go sticking to a budget and buying so many great items! The aqua/gold tumblers are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE those Culver glasses! I just picked up a small set of my own, which I would keep if I didn't already have enough glassware lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I absolutely hear you! I have SO much glassware it's crazy. I definitely need to sell this set, no matter how much I love it!

      Delete
  21. I love your Culver glasses too! I have to curb my hoarding tendencies when it comes to barware!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just had to comment since you snagged two great items that I happen to own myself! The federal mirror and that marble paper towel roll, two of my most favorite thrifted items to date. You found some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Heather, those tumblers are perfect! I'm drooling over them. Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your vintage phone! I have one just like it....in miniature. It belongs to my 1960 Barbie doll. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...