Sunday, December 16, 2012

Thrift Report: It's Beginning to Feel A Lot Like Christmas!

Happy Monday, all!  Are you ready for the holidays? I'm NOT!  I've been engaging in a classic case of last-minute panic shopping allll weekend. The Tatter and Fray shop has been positively hopping for the last few weeks, and I've barely had a moment to spare!

Never fear, though...living in a town with a thrift shop on every corner means that I can always manage to squeeze in a thrifting stop in between trips to the mall, World Market, TJ Maxx, Target, the mall.... I've assembled some of my more eclectic finds of late for your viewing pleasure today.





This children's chair is not really the type of thing I typically stock in the shop, but I just couldn't resist it. The colors are so vibrant and folk-arty and it had just the absolute PERFECT amount of scuffing and vintage character. I'm pretty sure I had one of these in yellow as a really little kid.





This cheery yellow and white enamelware kettle also caught my eye. It's in almost pristine condition and I love the 70s/80s vibe. It was made in Japan by Kamenstein and is dated 1979. 



I've loved these cobalt blue deco creamers by Hazel Atlas for-ev-er, but I hardly ever find them. I was pretty excited to spot this one sitting on a shelf at Goodwill. 



This little piece was one of those purchases that inspired the thrift store employees to exchange glances and treat me like I might be a little "off."  I maintain, though, that it would be a perfect little art piece for a neo-trad room. I love the octagonal shape, the olive green velvet matting, and the decorative gold loop at the top.



I was so excited about this next find that I can hardly talk about it.


That's right, my friends...it's a gimongous brass peacock floor statue!  It measures 28" tall. Couldn't you just die? Thank goodness the base is hollow so it's light enough to ship; when I first spotted it, I was afraid it would weigh 80 lbs or something. I'm going to list it in the shop soon - quite frankly, my postage-stamp living room is too petite for statuary - but for the moment I'm enjoying staring at it in all its glamazon glory.




Not quite as exciting as Mr. Peacock but still fun was this periwinkle blue vase. I totally thought it was a piece of American art pottery until I spotted the old "made in Japan" inscription on the bottom. I love the loopy handles and the ringed neck.


And finally...I mentioned the finds in this post were on the eclectic side, right?  Okay then...BEHOLD:



I spotted this book at GW and bought it for my brother as a Christmas gift...because who WOULDN'T want to display a 300 lb 1970s NFL player doing needlework on their coffee table??  

What I love most about it is that it's completely unironic; it seems that Mr. Grier really wanted men to do needlepoint in the most heartfelt way.

I quickly realized that this book typically sells for $50 - $120, so I decided I'm keeping it and listing it in the shop. My brother doesn't need it that badly. :)  (Sorry, Andrew.)

I hope you all manage to fit in a little fun, a little merriment, and yes, a little thrifting in this last, hectic week before Christmas!  Here's one more shot of 70s goodness to carry us out:




Linking up here!



signature

20 comments:

  1. Oh my, your peacock statue has me in a state of reverent awe. I don't know what to say except that I'm in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygosh. That book! I had better keep my eyes peeled for my own copy! Love your blue finds!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling you, that book will jump out at you if you ever come across one. I spotted it from across the room -- how could you not?? ;)

      Delete
  3. The chair is adorable! It's very Scandinavian~ I have a small trunk my grandma painted in a similar fashion.
    Love the needlepoint book ~ need to find one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Astrid! I agree about the chair - it has a very Scandinavian feel.

      Delete
  4. The peacock is glorious!!! Yes, you had a little chair very much like that one as a child, and... I am still laughing about the book:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eclectic is right! What a fantastic peacock, I never see anything like that at my local GW! LOVE the book! What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beatriz! It's one of those weird, out-of-character finds that I just couldn't pass up.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I wish I could show you guys the whole thing. The photographs are amazing! ;)

      Delete
  7. Love that book find! So cool. For me personally, I would want the kettle though. So cheery. The peacock is great too. I'm glad your shop is busy, even if you aren't ready for Christmas. ;) I certainly am not ready AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That peacock is a great find! And I think I'm a little happier knowing a book like that exists in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilarious! That would be the best white elephant gift ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG that is SO true! Hadn't thought about that angle...hmm! :)

      Delete
  10. Best laugh I've had all day! My dad would laugh so hard at the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! My dad was completely horrified...I think it shattered his image of Rosey Grier as a super tough football hero. ;)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...