Sunday, December 2, 2012

Thrift Report: December Fun

I had so much fun thrifting this week! Lately, I've been super focused on buying things for the shop that I know will sell easily, in preparation for the busy holiday gift-shopping season. Although I always enjoy thrifting and I love everything I buy, sometimes I feel like I'm buying the same things over and over. This week, though, I found some really unusual, interesting stuff.

I spotted this piece on a "just arrived" cart at Goodwill for a few dollars. I thought it was dried flowers at first, and I picked it up because I thought the base was pretty. It was so perfect, though, I figured it was a new piece.
To my surprise, I quickly realized the "dried flowers" were metal, intricately gilded, jeweled, and enameled. The sticker on the bottom of the urn read "Jane Hutcheson for Gorham" and it was clearly vintage. I took a risk and purchased it

When I got home and researched the piece, I discovered that designer Jane Hutcheson designed this line of life-like enameled flowers for Gorham's "Fleurs des Si├Ęcles" giftware line in the 70s and 80s, and that the pieces are highly collectable today and quite valuable. Score!  In case you're interested, here's a lovely article on Jane Hutcheson's work.



I've admired these simple, cork-topped decanters in other shops for ages, so I was excited to find these. The corks need replacement - one is missing, and the other two are both crumbling and moldly - but I should be able to pick up some new ones at Michaels for a couple of dollars. The awesome typography makes me happy.


This pair of elegant brass flamingos was an antique store find; they were a great price, and they're really huge.


This vintage painting on canvas is so pretty in person -- and surprisingly elegant. The colors are very muted, the frame is gleaming brass and about an inch deep, and it includes the original certificate of authenticity, dated 1979. Best of all, it's compact - about the size of a piece of printer paper - which makes it perfect for a gallery wall, or easy to display just about anywhere. I love it. 


As regular readers know, I have a strict "no dinnerware" policy when buying for my shop - "strict" meaning I try really hard but violate it often. :)  Dinnerware doesn't sell that well for me, and it's really hard to pack and ship, so I try to steer clear. When I came across a bunch of Ken Edwards pieces at Goodwill this week, though, I had to take them home. They're so beautiful; they're really scarce in this area; and most of all, they were 49 cents each.


I just couldn't bear to let them end up chipped, broken, or tossed into a GW Outlet sale bin. I pretty much had no choice  but to bring them home, right? RIGHT?  (Sigh...)


And because I couldn't possibly go a whole week without finding some bookends, here's this week's set:


They're so chic, but in horrible condition. Each one is missing an ear, and they plaster is very chipped (as you can see.) Still, for a couple of dollars, I couldn't leave them behind. I plan to keep this set for myself, and "rehab" them with a nice coat of glossy spray enamel. Maybe ivory, or deep orange, or solid black. Any opinions?


Lastly, I was beside myself to find this set of mid-century Swedish candlesticks!  This is another item I've drooled over online, and almost purchased for myself more than once. It's hard to tell with the currently heavy coat of tarnish, but these are solid brass, and will be spending some quality time with a polishing cloth very soon. I will probably sell them - I'm trying to be more disciplined about not keeping every other thing I buy for the shop - but I may shed a tear or two when I do.

Thanks for checking out my finds this week. I'm wishing all of you a fabulous week of thrifting, and I can't wait to check out what you find!

Linking up here:

The Nifty Thrifty at A Living Space

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl

Junkin' Joe at The Cottage Market



signature 

24 comments:

  1. That top enameled piece is amazing!!!!!!!!! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - me too! The color of the urn is what first prompted me to pick it up, even when I thought it was full of dusty dried flowers!

      Delete
  2. I love all your finds, but that enameled piece is DIVINE. And I applaud your heroism in saving those amazing dishes - you clearly did what had to be done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for enabling -- ahem -- "supporting" me, Marium! ;)

      Delete
  3. I would have to pick up that dinnerware too. Oh and those horse bookends would look fabulous in orange. Amazing finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thanks. I think I'm leaning towards orange!

      Delete
  4. where do i even start?!?! that owl had me smiling but then the dinnerware left me breathless. so lovely. another great post filled with wonderful finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The enameled flower arrangement is very nice, as are the Ken Edwards plates. I have a hard time passing on KE, but it seems to do well every now and then (Just sold three pieces from the shop). Those candle holders are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beatriz. I will hope that the KE pieces sell quickly, as I have absolutely no room for them. I just couldn't pass them up, especially since we NEVER find them in this area.

      Delete
  6. I love everything you found this week! That flower piece is crazy (in a good way), and the dishes are gorgeous... you definitely had to save them :) The decanters and candle holders are awesome, too. Good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia. You guys had a great week, too! ;)

      Delete
  7. You always have the coolest finds! love the Swedish mid-century candlestick holders. Ah dishes, have so much trouble walking away from them myself, and agree, you couldn't leave those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. I know...I am totally procrastinating on listing the candlesticks--haven't even polished them yet. I want to keep them!

      Delete
  8. I think your stuff is always interesting and unique. That Jane Hutcheson find is incredible. Good for you!! I couldn't have passed up those dishes either. They are sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That metal flower piece is amazing. I love how easy it can be to find out information on our thrifted treasures. I especially love finding out that something I paid pennies for is worth a lot or rare.

    Happy Holidays!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good thrifting indeed this week. The metal flower/vase is amazing.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  11. That same enamel flower piece went for $415 on Ebay! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ^Oh my gosh! $415, nice score! Love the Swedish candle sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finds! Thanks for joining Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. you are the QUEEN my friend!!! you just ROCK the thrifting to all new levels! I give you a WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found you through the lovely Andrea at The Cottage Market. Your lovely urn of metal flowers really caught my eye ! I absolutely love it, you certainly found yourself a treasure. Enjoy it !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh what fantastic finds! You have some seriously awesome op-shops where you live! Those horse bookends would look fab with a glossy black paint finish, although if it were me I'd probably paint them a garish fuchsia or something! :)
    x Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  17. You always have the best finds! Makes me want to get back out there in the swing of things again.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...