Monday, October 8, 2012

Thrift Report

I had a pretty great weekend of vintage-hunting and thrifting! I did a lot of shopping with my mom and found some real gems.

My first find, though, is from a couple of weeks ago. I decided to browse one of my very favorite antique malls - a veritable warehouse of vintage awesomeness in downtown Indy -- and scored big time.


One of the dealers was closing down their booth and had just marked this set down...wayyyy down...when I happened by. I grabbed it up immediately and took it to the front desk to be held while I shopped. Then I proceeded to check on it about 15 times as I shopped to make sure no one else made off with it. Hey...vintage shopping can be a dog-eat-dog world. :)

The set consists of eight large Culver roly poly glasses in near-perfect condition and the original caddy. Culver made so many intricate gold patterns; I haven't been able to identify this one. I saw it referenced one place at Majorca, but haven't been able to confirm. Anyone know?


Next, I found this interesting little piece for half off at the thrift store:


It's a heavy, ornate brass nutcracker. I love the design on the base...it reminds me of an Arts and Crafts piece.

And the carved, enameled "Shalom" on the handle is pretty cool, too!


Blanc de Chine statues make me happy.


...but it's SO hard to find them with their thumbs. Yes, I said thumbs. If you've ever thrifted these beauties, you know that the vast majority of them are missing their thumbs and/or fingers. They're just so fragile! I picked up this one - digits intact - for a few dollars at another antique mall over the weekend.

Here's another 50% off thrift store find:



It's a really large brass vase with a cherry red enamel coating and a gorgeous peacock design. Love!


Finally, a little something I picked up for myself. I saw these boots - little black wellies with gold buttons - at Tar-jay months ago and seriously thought about buying them, multiple times. It's hard, though, to spend money on boots in the summer, so I kept passing them up.



Well, it just so happens that our Goodwill stores often buy up overstock from Target (do your GWs do this??) and I spotted the boots, tags still on, in my size, at GW over the weekend. Oh yes. And since it was half-off day, I snagged them for...get ready....$2.50! 

I hope you all had some great thrifting scores of your own this weekend. I'm linking up here to check out everyone else's finds!

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Junkin' Joe at The Cottage Market


signature

26 comments:

  1. Wow! on the nutcracker and Double Wow! on the Culver glasses set.

    Yes, some of our GW's have the Target merchandise, too. Love your boots score...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather! I am in AWE of your finds! Especially the statue of is it, Kwan Yin? And those glasses...I would be checking on those too! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always assume those statues are Kwan/Guan Yin, but I'm honestly not sure. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. Love your finds, especially the caddy with the roly poly cups. Our goodwill gets Target left overs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that GW's in other places buy from Target, too. It's usually junk, but sometimes I find good deals on Target stuff. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I love the glasses in the caddy. So lovely. Enjoy the boots. You got lucky on those, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never seen anything like those glasses. Hope you can find the pattern. I love that nutcracker piece. It is ornate, and I usually don't go for ornate, but that is awesome. Glad you found some gems.
      Our goodwill doesn't buy from Target but our Dakota Boys and Girls Thrift does, but that never goes on sale. Our goodwill never has sales on any of their non clothes items. Frustrating.

      Delete
    2. Joann - Yes, I thought it was a pretty lucky find! Karen - I would be so sad if our GW didn't have their big sales. It's always a madhouse, but the deals are amazing!

      Delete
  5. My favorite find was the nutcracker, but you finding those boots for $2.50 really was exciting. One local thrift store had new shoes from several mid Florida outlets one time. My shoe size is hard to find though. Thank goodness we can wear flip flops year round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne...I can't tell you how jealous I am of your year-round flip flop weather! :)

      Delete
  6. Great boots! I love them so, but SoCal weather is not boot friendly! Unless you are a Hollywood actress wearing uggs... Back to your finds, lovely finds! You are so consistent with your great taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It will, unfortunately, be full blown "boot weather" here in another month, so I'm trying to brace myself. :)

      Delete
  7. FABULOUS and AWESOME FINDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW you really scored! So happy for you and thanks TONS for sharing over at Junkin Joe! WE LOVE having you! : ) Sending hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did I read that right? $2.50??????

    I reallllly love those glasses! Such a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pretty pleased to find them. :)

      Delete
  9. thumbs??? really? never noticed them hehe awesome finds! especially the boots! now totally want one ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...yes, maybe it's just my bad luck, but they are always missing their fragile little thumbs!

      Delete
  10. Wow those glasses are GORGEOUS! I love the design of the stand and the splash of turquoise. So pretty! I also love the nutcracker; there's just something so sculptural and interesting about it. Super cute rain boots, and what a steal!
    We're hosting our first thrifty link-up on our blog, and I know we're a couple days late getting to you, but we would still love it if you would join in! Check it out here: The Nifty Thrifty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't find that exact color for your glasses but I believe the pattern is "Scroll" - they have an Azure Scroll, Emerald Scroll, and Cranberry Scroll on replacements.com that looks exactly like your set except for the color. They are gorgeous! Super find especialy with the caddy, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG...THANK YOU! I swear I looked through patterns on replacements.com until my eyes were rolling back in my head and I had to quit :) That is definitely the pattern!

      Delete
  12. Looks like you and your Mom had a great time vintage shopping! You really found lots of wonderful items. Warm hugs, Esther

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those glasses are so pretty, awesome find.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...