Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Rustic Vintage Wedding


A while back, I mentioned that I'd just returned from the Pacific Northwest for my brother Andrew's wedding. He lives in the picturesque little town of Bellingham, Washington - just north of Seattle - and it was my first time visiting since he's lived there.

The area is stunning...just how I imagined the PNW to be. Woodsy, amazing water views, laid back vibe... I didn't expect to love it as much as I did.

The wedding itself was lovely. The venue featured all kinds of rustic goodness: huge evergreens, dahlia gardens, a bonfire pit, and a sweet caretaker couple who passed out wool blankets to guests as the sun set.

I was honored to serve as "best woman" for my brother. He's my only sibling, and we're very close, even though we don't see one another very often.  I think it's because we had a bit of a gypsy childhood, growing up all over the place - in and outside the country. He's the only person on earth who has the same collection of memories -- places, houses, schools, friends -- that I do. He's kind of like my living, breathing hometown.

It was my duty to keep him calm on wedding day. I'm not sure I did the best job; I will never forget driving to the venue in sweats, balancing the wedding cake on my lap, with huge vats of sangria sloshing in the back of his SUV, yelling "Slow down! Is your suit hanging near the sangria?! For the LOVE OF GOD!!!" I was calmness personified.

Photo: Jill Kattau
Photo: Jill Kattau

The ceremony was beautiful, despite most of us being blinded by lots and lots of tears. My brother's best friend from childhood got ordained just for the wedding and conducted the ceremony magnificently.

Photo: Jill Kattau


Photo: Matt Curtis

Miranda's dress was so pretty and, dare I say, a bit vintage-inspired. It was an ivory color with the most beautiful lace overlay. Her earrings were custom made by an Etsy artist. She's lovely in every way, and I'm so excited to have her in our family. The French word for "sister-in-law" is belle soeur, which literally means "beautiful sister." As usual, the French are more eloquent than we are. My beautiful new sister.

The reception was held in a redwood pavilion that was decked out with more dahlias, plus an assortment of vintage bottles and jars, retro fabric on the tabletops, and amazing collection of 100+ vintage plates and champagne glasses that Miranda had thrifted over the course of the last year.


Photo: Matt Curtis



Photos: Jill Kattau

Photo: Matt Curtis


The food was fabulous. My brother is a classically trained chef and Miranda is quite the cook herself, so one of their priorities for the wedding was serving the best possible food.



Photos: Matt Curtis

The charming favors were strawberry-basil preserves, handmade by Miranda and her mother.


Photo: Jill Kattau



Photo: my own


It was a truly unique wedding, and perfectly reflective of who they are. Sophisticated yet down to earth; relaxed and hospitable; and focused on friends and family. More than anything, it was a happy wedding, designed to celebrate a bright future with a nod to the past.


Photos: Jill Kattau

Photo: Matt Curtis

Photo: Matt Curtis



signature







8 comments:

  1. That looks like such a romantic venue and gorgeous pictures.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! Never traveled to the PNW but those pictures inspire me to do so. Glad you had a great time celebrating with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely, charming wedding. The tables look beautiful, and the setting is great. Congratulations to the happy couple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The setting reminds me of my daughter's wedding in Poland Springs Maine 3 years ago. It's obvious that great care was taken for such a special day. Lovely and best wishes to the happy couple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, lovely wedding! The thrifted plates and glasses are a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How special your brother's wedding was. The beauty of the natural surroundings and the personally-chosen effects/details were lovely! Wishing the couple a lifetime of happiness...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...