Sunday, August 26, 2012

Thrift Report: More from the Stash

I'm still not 100% back in the thrifting groove. My huge summer event is over at work, finally, but now I'm catching up on everything that piled up while it was going on. Plus, my little brother is getting married in a couple of weeks and I'm still getting ready for that. I may or may not have purchased twelve dresses so far. I admit nothing.

In the meantime, this weekend I found a cardboard box I shoved into the corner of my basement a couple of months ago when I was cleaning stuff out for my yard sale. Lo and behold, it was full of thrifted stuff that I never cleaned, photographed, or listed. Kind of like Christmas in August. Also kind of scary that I could completely forget about such a ton of inventory, but that's another story.

Here's what I found!


A paperweight-sized version of Robert Indiana's iconic LOVE sculpture. The real, life-sized deal is just two miles from my house, but I love this little one, too.



A gorgeous, huge champagne bucket. I can think of about 20 uses for it besides just chilling a bottle of bubbly. Flower vase? Kindling holder next to a fireplace? Super chic wastebasket next to a desk?




There are eight of these cheery blue-ringed tumblers. I think they could go very classic and nautical, or very mod if mixed with other bright vintage dishware.




Then, there was this pretty set of three nesting sauce pans in copper with ornate brass handles. These came from a Goodwill store, believe it or not. A very unusual find for GW!



Have I featured this piece on the blog before? It's also from the stash...a vintage planter with very "arts and crafts" lines. It has the feel and look of one of the classic early American art pottery companies, but I haven't been able to identify it. If any pottery afficianados out there have any clues, let me know. It could also be 1970s Haeger for all I know...but I don't think so. :)



 This was a fun little find. A New Old Stock "Jailer's Key Ring" in solid brass. Seriously...could the typography and graphics be any more 70s?  I totally want to use it. I think there's something both glam and minimalist about it, especially if it held just one or two shiny keys, but the thought of removing it from its packaging makes me sad, too. I always have that problem with NOS stuff!



Lastly, just in time for back-to-school, an apple sculpture plated in polished brass. I know a few teachers I could give this to!


And there you have the highlights from the cardboard box stashed in my basement. Clearly I need to take a look down there more often!  I hope you all have a fabulous week of thrifting and vintage-hunting!

xoxo


Linking up with my favorite thrifting blogs here:

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality
Sunday's Best at My 1929 Charmer
Thrifty Love at Cap Creations

10 comments:

  1. It is so much fun to find a forgotten box full of goodies. I have a couple awaiting Christmas season! Love the LOVE sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home is always the best place to start a shopping trip. i have found this out after trying to clean my house!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your planter. I have one like it - not really the same, but also with the nice "arts & crafts" vibe to it. It's a mystery to me. It could be something completely mundane but I really like it and I will be keeping it. Yours is beautiful.

    It's always nice to unearth some forgotten treasures - you get to enjoy them all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a box filled with some amazing stuff! I love each and every piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost every time I wander through my basement, I find stuff I forgot I had picked up. It's like the thrill of shopping all over again! I have a hammered copper sink in my kitchen so I am really digging those pots. They would look great hanging in it. Fab finds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop the insanity. Please do NOT even think about giving your kid's teacher that apple paperweight. Cute as it is, she has seven like it. And mugs. Don't even get me started on the mugs--#1 Teacher, Best Teacher, I heart My Students (you get the picture). If you want to be kind, bring her a coffee (or, better yet, a bottle of wine). And yes, I know of what I speak as I am staring at a marble apple on my desk at this very moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really got some great finds, love the blue tumblers and OH my those copper nesting sauce pans are an incredible score. I love copper, and would put them under guard for a while! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remarkable stuff, all of it. The little sculpture is great. Reminds me of being young and watching Love Story. The champagne bucket is incredible too, and I like your thoughts for how to use it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...