Sunday, July 29, 2012

Thrift Report: July Wraps Up!

Happy Sunday, friends. I didn't quite make my goal of abstaining from thrifting for the entire month of July, but I came close! I did break down and pick up a few things yesterday, though. I know...I'm hopeless.


These mid-century candlesticks called my name. I can't quite figure out what size candles they are intended to hold, though, besides maybe votives. Sometimes I think some of these old candlesticks had glass votive inserts originally. If I kept them, I would probably just display them as pretty sculptural pieces instead of using them.



I also snapped up this art deco refrigerator dish. It's marked "Manufactured for Westinghouse by Hall China" on the bottom. Which makes sense, as I once read that these pieces used to be offered as free gifts with the purchase of a new refrigerator. It has a small chip on the rim on the back, and some chipping inside the lid, but for $2, I couldn't resist its cornflower blue color and amazing deco lines. I am a sucker for art deco; I freely admit it.



I found this old wastepaper basket so charming. It's brass toned with a fabulous sailing ship design, and it has the PERFECT amount of rust and patina. This is the kind of thing people spend days trying to achieve through "faux" treatments. It's weird to be all into a trash can, but I really like this piece. I got it in a thrift, but I imagine it came from a library in a stately old house.



This picture doesn't really do this little set justice. They have the prettiest gold lines across the handles, which really add to their look. They are tiny and delicate bone china, made by Okwan China Company and hand painted in Japan. So pretty; they make me want to have a fancy tea party.

Okay, I saved the best for last. I'm been pretty obsessed with this elephant lamp by Shirley Fintz for West Elm's new South Africa collection ever since I saw it featured in Elle Decor:


It doesn't help that I've seen it splashed across Pinterest and the design blogosphere nonstop ever since. Plus, I've been enamored of Jonathan Adler's elephant lamp for a while now, though at almost $400, it's a smidge out of my price range:



You can imagine, therefore, how i reacted when I was sitting in my office last Wednesday and got a text from my mom that said, "White ceramic elephant lamp. $9. Want it?"  Ummmmm....let me mull that over for a while...YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no idea if it would be vintage or new, in good condition or rough around the edges, but I didn't really care at that price. On Saturday, I trekked to my parents' house to check it out. I was not disappointed:




Isn't she a beaut?  It's actually a momma elephant with her calf, and it's in great condition with just one tiny chip at the back hear the brass neck.



It's definitely vintage, made from heavy pottery that likely dates from the mid-century (or possibly earlier). It's a gorgeous creamy ivory, and I'm in love with it. I'm pretty sure this is my favorite vintage find of the year, and I didn't even find it (go Mom!). I drove it home in the front seat of my car, wrapped in a cloth bag and seatbelted in.  I have 47 different places in my house that this lamp would look amazing, but I'll be a good girl and put it in the shop. Eventually. ;)

Wishing you all successful and happy week filled with at least a few thrifted treasures!


xoxoxo


Linking up here:

Sunday's Best at My 1929 Charmer
Thrifty Love at Cap Creations
Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures



28 comments:

  1. I adore Art Deco as well. All of your finds are so lovely. And the elephant lamp is simply gorgeous. Your mother is like you, she has a great eye! Thanks so much for dropping by L'Heure Bleue At Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom does have great taste; she always has! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. The lamp is beautiful! And I agree about the 'great eye' (the garbage can is beautiful as well!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina, thanks for making me feel less crazy for loving an old trash can! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Heather! Thanks for sharing again at Cap Creations. The candle sticks are unique, I don't believe I've seen anything like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by...have a great week!

      Delete
  4. The elephant and baby lamp is so darn cute! You really found some great things, wastebasket! So what room will your new lamp be in? So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, thanks for hosting Sunday's Best! Not sure about the final destination for the lamp...I will probably list it in my shop eventually, but for now it's in the living room!

      Delete
  5. I think you held out for the best stuff. You were right to buy, those pieces needed to be bought. The elephant lamp is so pretty! I'd keep it, you can always sell something else. But you have to keep some of the most unique for your own space. Great finds!
    ~Trudy http://thriftscore42.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely considering it, Trudy! Thanks so much for your nice comment! :)

      Delete
  6. How can you NOT love Art Deco. I get drawn to it all the time too.

    Keep the elephant!! At least for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will...besides, I'm so behind in listing things, it'll probably be months before I actually get around to putting it in the shop! ;)

      Delete
  7. Heather, you have ---the--- best eye and the best taste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The candlesticks...yes...those are nice! And who can resist Westinghouse? Not me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm totally jealous of that lamp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...I know, isn't it great? It's actually prettier in person. SIGH.

      Delete
  10. I had to chuckle when I read that you buckled in the lamp...I feel so protective of a favorite find, they are precious! Kudos to your mom, nice to have another set of eyes looking out for you. I have that exact Westinghouse container and it does have beautiful lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I'm so lucky my mom loves antiques and home decor stuff, so she's always finding things for me. Cool that you also have the refrigerator dish...I just love it!

      Delete
  11. You restrained your buying in July to just the best things!

    I keep seeing bits and bobs on the thrift shelves thinking "Heather'd buy that (but not this month)"

    (Love your Mom's elephant lamp find!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny, Jackie! It's officially August now, so watch out...! ;)

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous stuff. The elephant lamp is AMAZING! Good going mom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love those candle sticks! I had found some recently at my local thrift store and the wood was orange, just perfect! But the price was #4.99 for each one. Somehow I couldn't justify my whole thrift budget being blown on just those, when there was still an entire store to shop. :

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love every find, and your photos are gorgeous as always :) It's hard to take thrift breaks as a reseller, we have to keep stocking merchandise. It's an exhausting but necessary part of the job!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...