Monday, July 2, 2012

Thrift Report: Independence Day Edition

Greetings, fellow thrifters!  I took some time off from blogging to focus on...well...life...but I'm back with some pretty great thrifted finds this week. They're all over the board, style-wise, so brace yourselves!

I kind of freaked out over this mid-century copper coffee set. It's absolutely pristine...made in Portugal. Seriously...isn't it awesome? Got it at my favorite secret junk store.

Found this art deco cake carrier at Goodwill a few weeks ago. I like that it's a little bit earlier than so many cake carriers I come across (I tend to find late 50s/60s examples). It was also a great price, whereas they're often way overpriced when I see them. Plus, making fancy cakes is a hobby of mine, so I have a fondness for these.


Like many vintage dealers, I try to stick to a "no ashtrays" rule, but this guy was an exception. He may have been a [strangely tall] ashtray to begin with, but he's perfectly functional today as an awesome, Hollywood Regency style elephant figurine.

I have a serious crush on this piece - an acrylic magazine rack. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it's really dirty and rather old (70s, I would guess). Still, a little soap and water should do the trick. I'm 99.9% sure I'm keeping this. Even though I should sell it. Yes, I should sell it. But I'm totally keeping it. :)

I found this solid brass dragon wall hanging at a relatively new thrift shop over the weekend. They've had a LOT of vintage Chinoiserie there lately; so much so that I'm wondering if someone unloaded a collection.

Ginormous jardiniere. About a foot across at the top. Really old but in pretty good condition -- it looks like it never held a plant, so the inside is in good shape, which is nice. The outside came complete with about 50 years of tobacco residue. Yes, this has become the story of my life. I'm pretty sure it'll be a different color when I'm done scrubbing it.

And in a stylistic 180, here's a cute glass popcorn jar featuring some retro typography. Just a fun (and practical) little find.


And finally, a brass magazine rack with a faux-bamboo shape. These do well in my shop -- they're so on trend right now -- and each one I've found has always been a little bit different. I like the mesh "floor" of this one. I will not keep it. I WILL NOT.


That's it for now! I hope you're all finding lots of treasures at all the  flea markets, rummage sales, and estate sales that make summer so great.

xoxo

Linking up here:

Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality

6 comments:

  1. OH that coffee set! Love the look, as well as the cake carrier. (bringing back memories of one I let get away a few years ago...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're just like me with your tastes, very eclectic! I didn't realize brass magazine racks were 'on trend' now, I've passed a few up as I don't have the room for another one. I'm a fan of the coffee set you found and the streamlined shape of the Deco cake carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A proper cup of coffee from a proper copper coffee pot!! Say that really quickly. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving your finds this week! Those magazine racks are fabulous, I'm especially fond of the brass one. And really really loving the cake carrier, it would be hard for me to let that go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would prolly be so entranced looking at that copper coffee set to even think of drinking my coffee hehe that chinoiserie planter reminds me of home :) beautiful and unique finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That copper coffee set will simply fabulous; it should sell really well. Love your eclectic tastes. I personally would be bored if I stuck with just one style or item.
    Karen g

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...