Sunday, July 22, 2012

Thrift Report: Birds (and....Elephants?) of a Feather

So far so good with my "no more thrifting in July" resolution. I did zero thrifting this week, and instead focused on prepping, photographing, and writing listings for things I already have. Yay me!

During this process, I noticed the absurd number of birds, in singles, pairs, and families, that I've acquired over the last couple of months. Plus some gorgeous elephants!  Behold:


Could this little brass duck family be any cuter? The babies are only about an inch long each. How darling would this be on a shelf in a nursery?

I'm really enamored of these two blue glass peacocks. I've seen similar figurines listed as Murano pieces, but these are unmarked, so I'm not sure. They're absolutely stunning in person - about a foot long each and solid glass, weighing almost 4 lbs each.



Their shape reminds me of these ceramic California Originals figurines that I sold in my shop earlier this year:

https://ny-image1.etsy.com/000/0/6379238/il_fullxfull.341886301.jpg
 Super glammy and kind of art deco.



I think this pair of ivory ceramic partridges is so elegant. Wouldn't they be pretty on a stack of books? I've owned sets of these in brass before, but never in ceramic.


These brass swan duos are not uncommon, but I love the elegant swoop of their necks. They came in different sizes; this set is pretty small.


One of my favorite finds of the last few months is this elephant trio:


They have a beautiful inlaid (bone?) decoration and ~ miraculously ~ all the tusks are intact. Even after the thrift store clerk threw them into a bag, unwrapped, and then proceeded to drop the bag on the floor! (Sigh.)


Finally, just a single bird figurine:


This is a ca. 1970s piece by American sculptor Isabel Bloom. Not all of Bloom's work is my style, but I love this stout piece, cast in concrete. It's heavy enough to serve as a charming little doorstop!

That's all from me for this report. Wish me luck staying out of the thrift stores and junk shops for another week!

xoxo


Linking up with:

Sunday's Best at My 1929 Charmer
Thrifty Love at Cap Creations
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm

18 comments:

  1. Aloha and Thanks for stopping by Heather! Looking at your finds - I think my grandmother had those exact same brass swans (about 8" tall). Love the lines. Much luck at finding more treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was drawn to the elephants right away ... I think because I just picked up some fish on sticks and thought we might be kindred animal thrifting spirits ...

    Love the elephants. And the birds. And that single bird looks oh so sad. Perhaps because he's not part of a duo or triplet ... just all alone ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came over from the Charmer. I have a whole collection of those partridges in different sizes and colors. I love them. Maybe too much, maybe I need to downsize!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather! Yes, not only did I feature birds too, I almost threw in a tiny elephant I recently acquired as,well! Love the elephants you found and the glass peacocks are so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you really have a great collection! I sure do love the partridges! I don't think I would of been able to pass up any of what has become a great collection! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best - you help to make it a great par.tay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely eclectic collection you have :) i love the ceramic partridges :) soo elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little bird collection is fantastic. I especially love the single bird figurine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You find the best little figures. Love the blue glass peacocks - wonderful swoop to their lines!

    I'm playing the listing catch-up game too. As well as purging the 'what was I thinking' purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love those glass peacocks -they are truly stunning. the elephants are wonderful too but i think my favourites are the partridges. you're right, they'd look fabulous on a stack of books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh I love all of the cute birds! This would be cute on a bookshelf I have. I'm coming over form a blog hop and am excited to be a new follower! Feel free to follow me back www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so impressed with your month of abstinence. I tried to do a week, and I cheated with an estate sale. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good work you! Sometimes it is indeed best not to add to the collection, but rather organize and take stock of what you have. These are all wonderful pieces. I love the Bloom piece and the precious duck family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Popping through from Cap Creations - loving your birdies! The blue peacocks are just feel-good, like a dip in the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am drooling over the elephants... That is the kind of stuff that I can't part with. Gorgeous finds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You good girl, sticking to your no thrifting promise! I need to know your secret!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the duckies! Thanks so much for linking up at cap creations and for the pointers about selling! I featured you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How awesome! I have the ceramic quails that you have but in metal... Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, I've seen the quails in other materials...brass and black metal. I just love them! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...