Sunday, May 20, 2012

Thrift Report

It was a hugely hectic week followed by an exhausting weekend ~ exhausting in the sense of 7 hours of yard work in 90+ degree temps. Alas, I didn't get around to a lot of thrifting, though I did hit a couple of tag sales as I was running around doing errands in the sizzling heat on Saturday!


I had to scrub years of tobacco stains off of this Chinoiserie garden stool... {seriously...if smokers could see the tobacco smoke residue that I regularly scrub off vintage housewares, maybe they'd be grossed out enough to quit!} and I still have a ways to go.


Upon removing the worst of the dirt and gunk, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the piece is in really good shape -- some minor wear to the underside, but no chips or cracks.

Which is good, because I have trouble turning down anything that smacks of vintage Chinoiserie. Case in point:


Similar style, similar coating of brownish yellow residue. Argh. I've seen vintage garden stools that are very small ~ six inches or so ~ and of course I've seen the full sized ones. These, though, are somewhere in between. Kind of "child sized." 


They look awesome in my living room, where they will reside whilst waiting to be sold.


Switching gears, I also picked up this rather large mid-century candle holder. Standard pillar candles fit perfectly in it, but I wonder if it may once have had glass inserts for votives. Either way...I thought it was cool.


I bought these four spoons for about 10 cents each. They're just stainless, and they're either really big soup spoons or smallish serving spoons.


I just really liked the deco pattern on the handles. For that price, I can always use some extra spoons!

And last, I continued my streak of one-off bookend acquisitions. This marble alabaster horse head was a steal and he's heading straight to the shop:


I think he's proud of his single status.


What hidden treasures did you thrift this week?


I'm linking up to the following parties to check out everyone's fabulous finds!

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality
Thrifty Love at Cap Creations
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures


26 comments:

  1. We should combine forces. I always only find one book end also :) I've bet between the two of us we have a few sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find the best candle holders! I've never seen one quite like that... very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. I've never seen one like this before, either. It's huge in person!

      Delete
  3. i found a lovely scarf that makes me smile when i wear it. i love the garden stool at the very top. i just visited a chinese garden in Vancouver (blogged two weeks ago) and just loved the things i saw there. great blog - i cant' imagine gardening in 90 degree heat... oh my!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only garden in this weather under duress - i.e., the lawn and flower beds are so overgrown I'm afraid the neighbors are going to alert the authorities! ;) I will check out your post on the Vancouver garden!

      Delete
  4. Hi Heather! I love all of your finds (as usual)! Great choices. The stool is fantastic. Too bad about the tobacco residue. Gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Totally gross!!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Love the deco pattern on those spoons!

    Thanks for stopping by the blog!! Next time, GET THE BOWLS!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Now I can't stop thinking about them...wonder if they're still there...hmm! :)

      Delete
  6. I love, love, love vintage flatware...stainless, silver plate or sterling it doesn't matter. To pick up for such a wonderful price and wonderful deco pattern...I'm envious. I cannot help picking flatware up to sell or keep as it is my weakness. Fantastic Find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me! It's definitely one of my weaknesses, too. :)

      Delete
  7. Yep - some of those thrifty finds need a good scrub to bring them to glory! I love the chinoiserie stool and the art deco flatware. Like Jennifer I'm always grabbing oddments of flatware when I'm out and about. Fun finds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can NEVER have enough spoons - particularly really nice ones like these. What a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane. I agree; I seem to lose spoons faster than any other utensil! Kind of a mystery in my household...

      Delete
  9. We actually have a set of those horse head bookends at the antique store I manage! A single bookend is always useful too though.

    Lovely MCM candleholder & I never knew those large sculptures were actually garden stools. I can't imagine having something so delicate out in the elements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't believe it either. I usually see people use them as end or occasional tables, so maybe most of them in recent history got to stay indoors. :)

      Delete
  10. Lovely finds as usual, I want one of those stools in one color, not tobacco though. It is incredible to me all the work we do to bring these finds back to their former glory. I wash more dishes now than I ever did before... BTW, I see that you have a crocheted blanket in your store, how did you clean it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hand washed it with Woolite in a giant plastic tub. Thankfully it was pretty clean to begin with, so I didn't have to do a heavy washing or remove stains or anything.

      Delete
  11. Heather - Great finds! I have been for years waiting to find my very own Chinese ceramic stool. Your bookend is not marble, though, its alabaster! I have a pair just the same that I fell in love with after I bought them for my shop. You can often tell alabaster by its somewhat translucent quality which marble doesn't have. Isn't it fabulous? Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Whitney! I've seen them described both ways (alabaster and marble) and never knew the difference. Thanks for the tip!!!

      Delete
  12. How tall is the garden stool? What do you want for it? Will you ship to Tennessee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Classof65! I'll be posting it in my Etsy shop (see sidebar) soon...hopefully later this week. If you want to chat about it in advance, just email me at tatterandfray [at] gmail [dot] com. Thanks for your interest! ~Heather

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...