Monday, May 28, 2012

Thrift Report: Hello Summer!

Greetings friends!

I hope you've all been enjoying a fabulous summer kick-off weekend.  It's been hot here, and I mean H-O-T!  Ninety-eight degrees in the shade, 275% humidity, sandals-stuck-to-melted-asphalt hot.

My vision for the weekend: charming country tag sales, stopping to enjoy lemonade stands along the way and wrapping it up with iced tea on the porch under a ceiling fan in the evening.

The reality: taking refuge in any air-conditioned spot we could find; sweltering cars with burning hot steering wheels; cranky bulldogs that refused to step foot outside, even to do their "dog business." Not quite as idyllic as I had pictured. I guess summer is letting us know she's officially arrived!

In this kind of heat, outdoor sales, flea markets, and the like are really no fun. Instead, I stuck to thrift shops with their lovely A/C. I only did a little bit of thrifting, but I wanted to share my finds.


I fell in love with this pair of lamps. They're a translucent, shiny milk glass with gold butterflies and bumblebees. Aren't they precious? So perfect for a little girl's room, a sun porch, or just any kind of whimsical decor.


They're in great shape, too!



I also picked up this set of modernist brass candleholders for almost nothing. I love the swoopy tripod shape. They're marked underneath with old "Made in Japan" stickers.



Found this cool set of four heavy rocks glasses decorated with retro typography in the form of giant "P"s. My mom's name is Paula, but I don't think they're quite her style, so they're off to the shop. I actually pick up these glasses with random letters here and there, and I'm hoping to assemble a variety to sell, but since these all match, I'll probably sell them separately as a set.



I'm getting a bit picky about decanters. They sell well in my shop, but I have a backlog of them in inventory. I couldn't resist this pair, though, for only $6. I love the sort-of quilted design and rounded stoppers are my favorite.



At the same thrift shop, I picked up this set of five brass goblets and a gallery tray. Not sure if they went together originally, but they're perfect together. I am trying to be more respectful of patina-ed [read: tarnished] brass lately, since so many people seem to love it, but I still love everything to be shiny-shiny-shiny and will have a hard time not polishing them up before I list them!



Finally, again at the same shop I picked up this fabulous Jonathan Adler gourd vase. LOVE.  It's not old, but who can resist an Adler piece for A DOLLAR?!  In 50 years, people will collect him like they collect mid-century designers now. For the moment, it's staying in my house, though I've been batting around the idea of figuring out how to sell on eBay so I can list the Adler pieces I find plus some of my other not-vintage-but-still-fabulous finds. Any advice, eBayers?

That's it for now...I'm off to enjoy what's left of this glorious but sweltering holiday. I'll post a little later in the week about some of the fun things that went down this weekend, but in the meantime I wish you a wonderful Memorial Day and lots of thrifting luck!

xoxo



Linking with:

Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality  ~ {Thanks, Rhoda, for featuring my garden stool!!!}
Thrifty Love at Cap Creations
Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Be Inspired at Elizabeth & Co.
Thrifty Things Friday at the Thrifty Groove

21 comments:

  1. I love, love, love the lamps. I thought of you today when I was at the thrift store, because I saw lots of lovely brass candle holders. I didn't buy them, because my mom already gave me a few. I hope you get an iced tea on the porch kind of day soon! Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for thinking of me Joann! :) It's supposed to be quite cool later this week (Indiana weather is notoriously up and down) so I'm planning to do my porch-lounging then!

      Delete
  2. what a loot! i wish i can find Jonathan Adler here! absolutely great finds you have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was indeed a good week!

      Delete
  3. Love the Adler vase! My hubs said he would love the decanters...filled with M&M's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love that idea, Jeanne! I'll take chocolate over scotch any day! ;)

      Delete
  4. Those glasses are pretty rad. I'm not sure if I'd ever seen any, probably have, but now I'm gonna keep an eye out. Would love to spell something out on a shelf with them - would look neat.

    Sir Thrift-A-Lot
    http://www.sirthriftalot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far I have a G and a T in addition to the Ps. Can't spell much yet, but I love that idea!

      Delete
  5. Visiting from Southern Hospitality...these are all so great! I love the vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allyson, thanks for your sweet comment and for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. Great finds for you too. I adore the candle holders and the Adler piece. I think you are right, it will be a hot collectible some years from now. Ebay is simple to use, just research a little the pieces you are going to list, see what the initial bid was, and let it sit 5 to 7 days to give the buyers some time to find you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I hope to find some time to try it out sometime soon.

      Delete
  7. The candles are my favorite. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so in love with your goblets!!!! amazing!
    -molly
    thepoorsophisticate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm pretty excited about them too. I love the stems. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Heather, having a last name that starts with P I'm digging your p glasses. Your other goodies are great as well. I thought of you too this week when I picked up some barware sets. I think you'd be proud! Thanks for linking up at Cap creations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to know more about the decanters, are they 1950's ish? they would look lovely on my bar..are they going on your Etsy store anytime soon??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristin! I would guess 60s-ish; they're really cute in person! I am going to try to get them cleaned up (not sure if you can tell from the photo, but they were covered in about 50 years of dust when I got them!) and posted on Etsy this weekend or early next week. If you want me to give you a heads up when I post them, just send me your contact info to tatterandfray [at] gmail [dot] com. ~Heather

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...