Sunday, May 6, 2012

Thrift Report: Half Off Madness

I didn't plan on it, but I was out running errands on Saturday when I decided to go back to the store where I found the two Cathrineholm pots last week to make one last attempt to find the lids. [No luck, for the record.] I pulled into the parking lot and immediately noticed the THRONGS of people and cars and suddenly it dawned on me....first Saturday of the month.....the store-wide 50% off sale! I often avoid GW's sale day unless I'm really 1) energetic or 2) in need of inventory (which is almost never). It's just crazy...people ramming you with their carts; standing in line for 45 minutes to check out; cashiers who look like they're ready to kill someone; bare shelves; people stealing from other people's carts. It's not for the faint of heart, folks.

This weekend, though, I found myself in the mood for a little adventure, so I took the plunge. The stuff I found was kind of a mish-mash...nothing spectacular, though I was happy with all of it. The great thing, though, was the prices - it's amazing how much 50% affects the bottom line, even on inexpensive thrifted goods.


Case in point: This precious blue ringware sugar and creamer set was 98 cents for both pieces!


This little pottery measuring pitchers were another uber-bargain at 49 cents each. I was momentarily sad that it wasn't a full set, but I quickly decided I was too charmed by the awesome scrolly font to care.


These glasses were interesting...shelved next to one another, and absolutely identical (size, shape, weight, coloring) except for the actual subject of their decoration. I love astrology-themed stuff, and the "See Rock City" souvenir design was so retro and cute, I decided to buy them. $1 for both.


This pretty old set of carved wooden Chinoiserie coasters and box was also 49 cents. Woo hoo.


This large brass leaf-shaped bowl/tray thing was $1.50. it was almost a dark brown color from the tarnish when I bought it, but some Brasso and steel wool did wonders.


I almost overlooked this old Uhl pottery vase (the one in front) because it was full of plastic flowers on the shelf, but luckily I did a double take and recognized it for the gem it is. Perfect condition; also $1.50.


I always love these kind of obelisk-style MCM salt and pepper shakers. This set was a whopping 24 cents per piece. (Seriously...did they need to price them separately?!)


Annnnnd, finalement, this cool set of six smoked crystal champagne coupes. Or possibly dessert cups. But they're kind of tall to be dessert cups, so I hereby christen them champagne coupes. $3 for the set.

This is not even close to everything I bought on Saturday, but it's everything I've photographed so far. I'll try to feature some more fun finds in the coming
days. Did anyone else hit up the GW 50% sale in your area? If so, I hope you survived unscathed. Check out the following parties where I'm linking to admire everyone else's thrifted scores!

xoxo

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Sunday's Best at My 1929 Charmer
Thrift Treasures at Southern Hospitality

24 comments:

  1. Great finds! Thrifting is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorrie. I totally agree! :)

      Delete
  2. Eek I always avoid sale days at the thrift because it's SUPER crazy and it gets picked over quickly. There is actually a thrift store chain here that has a sale every Monday but sadly that means their prices are HIGH the rest of the week to compensate.

    Fun finds, I especially like the wood s & p shakers and the measuring cup set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leilani...I usually avoid them, too. I only build up the courage to partake about once every three or four months, then I need a few months to recover. LOL. It truly is crazy!

      Delete
  3. I don't think my local GW has a sale day. They give out coupons that can be used on ONE item... I guess they make enough business as it is. Fun finds, and you can't beat the prices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our GW used to do the 50% thing only once every 6 months...it was REALLY crazy in those days...but now it's monthly. We're very lucky. I think it helps them clear out a ton of merchandise, too. They also now have "frequent shopper cards" that you scan to get an additional 10% off any purchase over $20. It cracks me up to carry around a GW frequent shopper card, but at the same time it's kind of neat.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic finds with AMAZING prices. I particularly like the measuring pitchers. How sweet. I would love to bake using these! A thrift store near me is having a half price day soon, but now I am scared. ;) I don't think they include dishes though. That stinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does stink! Maybe you should email them and suggest it...you never know!

      Delete
  5. Your courage rewarded you with really great finds! I have to confess that the manic crowds on sale days intimidate me. Your report of the rock bottom prices just might be the lure to get me to brave a sale day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's better if you go later in the day. Like estate sales, the really "serious" shoppers (i.e. the ones most likely to trample you to get to what they want) tend to show up right as the stores open. It calms down as the day goes on!

      Delete
  6. Yes - loving your little measuring jugs - it's the text that makes them sing!

    Our GW's have the color tag system. One color tag is on sale at 50% off each day, then there are bonus discounts thrown in when their stock is heavy in one area - ie: books, or children's clothing, linens etc. Senior day is Wednesday for 25% off, I don't qualify (but I'm working on it!) So Wednesday is our busy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the weekly color-coded 50% off system, too. Once a month, though, the whole store is 50% off. As much as I hate going, I know we're lucky to have those sale days in our region...some of the bargains are amazing! :)

      Delete
  7. what a gorgeous set of measuring pitchers and i love the brass leaf too. great finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Those are probably my two favorite finds as well.

      Delete
  8. Absolutely love your blog and just added you to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. I love yours, too! Love your sense of style.

      Delete
  9. Love a 50% off sale!!! Good finds!

    Thanks for stopping by the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Out my way GW has a 50% off on Sunday on certain tags. But I never seen to make it out on Sunday's - need to drive not one close. You really found some great finds. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You always find the best stuff... And I always tell you that (because it's true). The pieces you found and the prices you paid for them are a total score! The wooden coaster set is my favorite! If you try to sell that you should make a nice profit. Well done pretty lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great prices! Especially love the measuring jugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the local GOODWILL stores! I have found some great finds....I love the measuring cups. Nice price too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i realize quite a bit of time has passed since this original post, but in the event you may still be actively involved in Shoji Imperial collectibles, i wanted to ask your opinion. among several pieces of the SI collection i inherited, i have a large bowl- all markings and design matches other pieces. i have scoured the internet, but cannot locate a piece with the dimensions even coming close to what this bowl measures. it is not the ice bucket/hospitality bowl....much shallower & wider. it is what i might call a large salad bowl , the sides not being high enough for liquids. if you have ever came across a piece such as this or happen to know of anyone that might help me in locating info on unusual SI pieces, could you please let me know. i searched relentlessly about a year ago and gave up due to frustration. coming across your blog has refueled my desire to at least identify and give this beautiful piece a name; only then can i decide what is best for the piece and for me ;) thank you in advance-

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...