Monday, April 23, 2012

Thrift Report

The Gods of Vintage were pretty kind to me this week. I didn't buy a ton of things - which is good, as I'm still swimming in inventory - but the things I found were different and cool--in my opinion, at least!

I've never seen anything quite like this vintage cocktail shaker. The green glass base is really heavy - a half inch thick at the bottom, I would say - and I found the combination of early plastic, green glass, and tarnished brass to be really interesting. I am guessing 1940s?



This planter dish is fairly large and appears to be antique, though it's always hard to tell for sure!  It has some irregular crazing and its organic shape leads me to think it's hand thrown. I was most attracted to the geometric border and the amazing crane illustration (which is repeated all the way around with slight variations). If anyone knows anything about this piece, please share!


I have decanters coming out of my ears right now, but these were too special not to bring home. I found them in a Goodwill a couple of weeks ago, and they were, remarkably, TOGETHER and UNDAMAGED. They are the thinnest glass and they are marked with old "Romania" stickers on the bases. You can't really tell from the photo but they are also huge - about 18" tall with their stoppers. I love them; don't they look like oversized antique perfume bottles?



My mom actually picked up this piece for me. It's also *huge* and has the coolest trumpet shape. I usually like to polish old brass to within an inch of its life, but in this case I really love the hammered finish and heavy patina. Yay for moms with good taste!



I love old pottery lamps, and when they're in my favorite shade of jadite-esque green, I'm a goner!


I'm thinking it dates from the 1960s, but it could be earlier. It had a great finial, too; always a plus!



Does anyone else like old glass electrical insulators? I know they're not rare, but I think they're a charming nod to the past and have a industrial chic about them. Plus they're really heavy and make great paperweights and bookends!  I've found a bunch in our local thrifts lately--not sure if someone unloaded a collection, or what -- but I've been snapping them up whenever I see them for a good price.

Those were the highlights of my thrifting this week. I hope you all have a fabulous week full of lots of vintage and thrifted finds! 

xoxo


Linking with:

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Thrifty Love at Cap Creations
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures

SouthernHospThriftyTreasures copy_thumb

11 comments:

  1. I love your lamp. Everything about it. Looks like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did find some wonderful items, I especially like the decanters. They have such wonderful lines. Our thrift stores shelves are bare, but I'm sure soon spring cleaning will start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff! I especially love the green lamp, but it's all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those decanters are just stunning, so elegant and fragile looking.Rx

    http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Different and cool indeed! The decanters are very pretty and love colors on the cocktail shaker. Thanks for sharing at Cap Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite is the lamp! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am in love with your decanters :) such beauty and grace :) u have a great eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shaker is amazing. I love insulators! I recently found two ceramic ones!
    ~Trudy http://thriftscore42.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the shaker, too. The pottery lamp looks like it needs to be in my home. Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cocktail shaker and the planter are amazing! Lovely finds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. While looking for a modern martini shaker today, my wife found a vintage cocktail shaker that we had forgotten about. We've been collecting a loooong time. It is identical to the green glass and plastic one with the brass lid you display on your web page. Do you have any other information on it? We can't find a manufacturer, build years, or anything else about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...