Sunday, April 29, 2012

Thrift Report: The Mod Squad

My finds this week veered towards the modern...


Loving this folding brass candle holder! I've seen them before on Etsy and always coveted them. Now that I have one, I'll probably sell it. Because that's how I roll. But in the meantime, isn't she pretty?


I've been finding lots of Kosta Boda snowball candle holders lately. Each of these came from a different place, but all were under $2. The one on the right is a bit different - smoother and more clear; more like crystal, and minus the seam marks on the others. Maybe an earlier production, or a knock-off? (Did anyone knock off Kosta snowballs?)


I'm not sure the photos quite do this lamp justice...the pottery base is the most beautiful blend of blues and greens. My favorite part, though, is the elegant teak neck. This was a garage sale find for a few dollars, though I spent significantly more having it rewired!



These two chic vases are marked "Norsk Tinn Pewter" on the bottoms. The stripes look like tree bark. Can't you see these adorning a bookshelf?


I've actually been hoarding this two-headed desk lamp for a while, but I finally got it out this weekend to contemplate listing it. I got it at a thrift store a couple of months ago for a few dollars, and I think it's so cool. It works, but it definitely needs a spit shine (or, more specifically, a rendez-vous with a bottle of Brasso) before I list it in the shop. Because I WILL list it in the shop. Really. I swear.


I was so excited to find all six of these glasses together in one Goodwill store - instead of having to track them down, piecemeal, all over the city. I haven't been able to figure out the pattern/maker. At first I thought they were Ultima Thule by iittala, but after examining them closely I'm pretty sure they're not. I've held Ultima Thule before, and these just feel different. Plus I don't think iittala made this shape in that pattern. Anyone have any ideas what they are?

And last but not least...


Not one, but TWO Cathrineholm saucepans! This find was a minor miracle, as I NEVER find cathrineholm in the midwest. I know lots of west coast bloggers who seem to find it periodically, but it seems to be such a rarity here. These are the first pieces I've ever seen "in the wild" (aka in a thrift). They're not perfect...the insides have some discoloration that I'm working on removing, and they tragically are missing their lids, but still...they were (brace yourselves) $2 each at GW.  Yep. You can see why they quickly came home with me!

Thanks for stopping by to peruse my gallery of vintage modern secondhand finds!  I hope you've all been busy unearthing some treasures of your own...I'll be linking up with the following parties to find out:

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Sunday's Best at My 1929 Charmer
Thifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
High on Thrifting Thursday at The Haps
Thrift Score Thursday at The Blue Eyed Owl

21 comments:

  1. Nice finds, it always strucks me how much norwegian stuff they have in the US! The Norsk Tinn vases are similar to the ones my parents had, tin objects are common in thriftstores here - but no one seems t buy yet. have a feeling that's on the mend, that they will grow popular again. Is tin popular in the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely getting more collectable here. I don't find much Norwegian or Scandinavian stuff where I live, but I know it's very popular in other parts of the country right now!

      Delete
  2. I am drooling all over my computer... great finds! just one of your finds this week would have made my week! Sorry I can't help with the glasses, but I can help with the snowballs, yes there are "chinese" knockoffs out there *shudder* I have seen them in boxes, newer production too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! So your drought continues? Maybe you need to take a trip to the Midwest! :) Thanks for the snowball info...two of the three identical ones had old-looking stickers, but the oddball was completely unmarked. Might just have to hang on to that one...the idea of a Chinese knockoff makes me shudder, too...though I shouldn't be surprised!

      Delete
    2. Hi Heather:

      Were you able to figure out the snowball situation? I think the smoother one is authentic, yes? I've bought two that are seamed and less smooth and I assume they are knock offs, but still very pretty.

      Delete
    3. Maria, I'm still not sure, and haven't listed them in my shop yet for that reason. I've seen some newer but authentic Kosta pieces that do have seam lines, but I know the older ones didn't. Yet the smoother one in my photo -- even though it seems to be of better quality and doesn't have seem lines -- doesn't have the detail that I see in most Kosta pieces (new and old). It's so hard to tell, but I agree...they're all pretty! :) I especially love them with lit candles inside.

      Delete
  3. those cathrineholm saucepans are divine!!!!!!!!!!!! what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, what a great haul! Love the vases the best. Oh, you could try some Barkeeper's Friend on the Cathrineholm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good suggestion! I'll try that next.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous stuff. I really couldn't say which is my favourite. It's all great. I agree those vases would be amazing on a bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sure have found some great pieces. Love both your lamps. The glasses are so pretty, but I don't know what they are? Love the two Norsk Tinn Pewter vases, great find on that one alone! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration finds at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a while I was coming across a lot of the snowball candle holders and I also wondered if there were knock-offs.........well, recently, I saw one that looked like Kosta, but was marked "Germany". I wonder....I didn't buy it, though.

    Wonderful, WONDERFUL finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jane! Interesting about the "Germany" snowballs!

      Delete
  8. Ah I have NEVER come across Catherine Holm and I live in southern California. So jealous! Those are really great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow so much great stuff this week!! Of course I'm totally jealous of the Cathrineholm, and at $2 each! The only time we have found Cathrineholm "in the wild" was when we were visiting Oregon, so I think you're right about the west coast thing. I also love the brass desk lamp (I would probably just keep it for myself if I were you! we are in need of a good desk lamp) and the brass folding candle holder. I'm always scouring the candle sections at thrift stores for mid century candle holders and it has unfortunately not been paying off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, love the lamp and the two vases!! You must have some pretty good thrift shopping where you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cathrineholm at a thrift store! You are so lucky ;) Thanks so much for linking up. I just stopped by your Etsy shop and I am in love! You have a great collection there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, what beautiful finds! thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...