Sunday, April 1, 2012

Thrift Report: GRRRRR

So I had the best thrift report post planned for tonight...I found some of the most amazing stuff this past week, and I planned to showcase some of the pieces that featured faux bamboo. Because, well...I love bamboo, as some of you know.

I spent the majority of the day cleaning up and photographing my finds. The process involves removing price tags; polishing/cleaning; moving furniture from the photography space; waiting for just the right light to hit the space; moving in prop furniture; shooting the actual photos; documenting measurements and prices; wrapping up fragile items; and moving everything into storage.

Today's session was intense but productive.  I had several sets of lamps to shoot, which are particularly time-intensive. All in all, I think I spent about six hours today on this process. I JUST finished putting everything away about an hour ago and sat down to post some of my shots on the blog. And guess what?

THEY'RE ALL GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


That's right....POOF. Disappeared. Nothing on the memory card. Nothing in internal memory. No record whatsover of my photographs. It's as if I dreamed it all.

This has happened twice before. It's some glitch with my piece o' crap old camera. I've replaced the memory card twice, so that's not it. Most of the time, though, it works fine, so it's hard to justify buying a new camera. But after today...after losing an entire day's worth of work...I may commit camera-cide.

In place of the post I had planned, I'll show you a few things that I've picked up over the last few months but never featured -  photos that actually made it out of my camera's memory alive.

I was really pleased to find this vintage wooden jewelry box:



The best part is the peacock blue velvet lining!




I also found this set of wooden candlesticks. This is how they looked on the shelf of the thrift shop:


But the reason they're SUPER COOL is that they unscrew to reveal a set of eight matching napkin rings!

Clever, right?


I was really drawn to the shape of these vintage wood salad tossers:

I thought they were charming in a bohemian kind of way.


This Kromex ice bucket was in pristine condition - as if it had never been used.


I love the retro wooden finial!

That's about it for me this week. I just realized that everything I posted is wood or wood grain, so I ended up with a kind of theme despite myself.  What can I say...I'm in a dark mood. Back to sulking now!  My goal for the evening is to talk myself out of smashing that stupid camera into a thousand pieces. Right now, that sounds pretty therapeutic...

I hope all of you had better luck than I did this week!  xoxo

Linking with:

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Thrifty Love at Cap Creations
Sunday's Best at My 1929 Charmer
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdat at Coastal Charm

13 comments:

  1. Heather, I am so sorry that you lost all your pictures! Great wood finds, I like the jewelry box a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've over it now, but I was pretty sulky last night! ;)

      Delete
  2. Great blog, informative and up to date. Bookmarking your page. Thanks and more power!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, have a crap camera so I can sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Jenni. It helps to know I'm not alone! LOL

      Delete
  4. how frustrating to have your camera crap out on you like that! i feel your pain! but also love those salad tongs. great finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm in a much more cheerful frame of mind today. :)

      Delete
  5. So sorry about your loss, how utterly frustrating, grr indeed! Love the jewelery box and the salad fork and spoon are really special.

    Question: any good tips on cleaning jewelery box felt? I'm pretty open to used items but there is something about jewelery box linings that kinda creeps me out, which is totally out of character. I have bought some really filthy pieces in my time, so, just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky that this one was pretty clean except for some lint, which I totally just noticed is visible in the photo. Ha. You might try tearing off a square of one of those sticky lint roller things and patting it against the felt. I've used those on my headboard, which is upholstered in a suede-like fabric, and you wouldn't believe the dirt and dust (ew...now I'm grossing myself out!) it picked up. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. Love the wooden salad fork & spoon...and those napkin rings are truly cool! Great finds this week!
    Cheers ~ Lara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! Losing that much time and energy is just the worst. Boo lame camera!
    On the other hand, those candlesticks/napkin rings are genius (I couldn't think of a better word than SixBalloons... it's just so true), and I love the ice bucket and those crazy salad servers. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there thanks for linking up at Cap Creations. Love the salad tossers, I featured them at the blog today!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...