Monday, April 9, 2012

Thrift Report: Easter Edition

I'm posting a little late today. The weekend was an eventful one, full of sunshine and grass mowing and dog walking. Also the 50% off sale at Goodwill and an unfortunate trip to the ER for some stitches. (Not related to the Goodwill sale, though that place DOES get kinda crazy on 50% off day!)

Here are a few favorite finds from this week:

A mid-century horse lamp. Tiny and cool. I love this piece more than I can articulate. It might technically be a unicorn...see the little bump on its forehead? I think it might just be a knotted mane, though. Either way...probably my favorite find of the week!


And yes, he works!  

I also found this pretty beaded purse. It's marked simply "Made in Japan" on the inside, and it's in great shape.
Wouldn't it be perfect for a spring or summer wedding?

This milk glass mixing bowl was only 99 cents! It's medium in size...about the size of a batter bowl, but taller. It's in great shape, but it's unmarked. I love the gold design. Does anyone know the maker? Pretty sure it's not Pyrex...maybe Glasbake or Federal?
Not everything I bought was white and gold. :)  Hello, adorable solid blue glass owl for 24 cents!
I love gilded, mirrored vanity trays. If I had my way, everything in my house would sit on a fancy tray! The gilding on this one is still really vibrant. It would look great on a sideboard holding barware or holding jewelry and perfume bottles on a dresser top.
This cute little pottery console vase/planter is in perfect condition. I love the fancy scrolled base. It's just marked USA, so I don't know who made it, but for 99 cents I couldn't pass it up!
Finally, a carved wooden elephant bookend. I can't resist a good elephant, though what's with all the single bookends I've been finding lately?  The raised trunk is a sign of good luck.

Wishing you all a little bit of that elephant luck this week, and in your thrifting endeavors and otherwise! 

xoxo

Linking up here:

21 comments:

  1. I love, love, love it all. The lamp is great, I can totally see the tray on a sideboard, and I am addicted to owls! You clearly have a great eye! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, so nice! Thanks, Jo! Nice to have you. :)

      Delete
  2. What great items! I especially love the lamp, purse, and planter. Wouldn't it be neat to find a matching lamp?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, don't say that...I'll get all obsessed with finding one! ;)

      Delete
  3. Just a note about your planter- USA is the name of the company that made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to comment! This is actually a common misconception; there was no such company as USA Pottery. It was a mark used (sporadically) by various makers to denote country of origin. You'll often find well documented designs by popular makers like McCoy, for example, marked this way, while an identical piece might carry the standard marker's mark. One theory I've heard is that companies used "USA" instead of their usual marks on pieces they considered inferiour - pieces that would probably end up in a factory outlet today. I'm not sure if that's entirely true, though! In any case, the USA mark makes identifying more obscure pieces challenging. ~Heather

      Delete
  4. The lamp is fantastic as are the planter and owl; I would have been reaching for each one of those. I love old planters, yours looks like draped fabric with clever feet. I must check out the USA answer, posted by Anonymous, since I have many planters with USA marking.
    You scored well, what great finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, suzieQ! Thanks for visiting...glad you liked my finds! See my response regarding the pottery mark above. I wish it were that easy...I have a lot of "USA" pieces, too! Oh well. ;)

      Delete
  5. Heather, beautiful finds. I love that purse, and the lamp is quite charming too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely finds!!! I just adore the horse lamp & I wish I had more places for mirrored trays, think they are so charming!
    Cheers ~ Lara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff! The purse and mirror are my faves and love that color on the owl. And no doubt about the craziness on half off day! Hope all is well with the stitches and all. Thanks for sharing at Cap Creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The stiches are no big deal...just cut my arm on a piece of sheet metal in my basement on Easter morning. The only issue is that I'm a huge WIMP when it comes to blood/needles/hospitals/etc. On the mend now!

      Delete
  8. OH MY, OH MY, OH MY!!!! i ALSO love that horse lamp more than I can articulate!!!! we sold something similar a couple years ago and i still wish i would have held onto it! and that beaded purse is really quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, you have no idea how much I want to keep that lamp. And of course I have noooo place for it. Decisions, decisions....

      Delete
  9. That's a neat old bowl, it's definitely not Pyrex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured. I cannot figure out the maker for the life of me. Oh well!

      Delete
  10. I can't pick a favorite... Okay maybe the elephant book end. But I'm loving the lamp and beaded purse a lot, too! All great finds! (Agreed, All thrift stores get a little weird when there is a 50 % off sale, lol). Hope the stitches aren't too serious!

    PS- Post a pic of the bull head bracelet, it sounds amazing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I will post a pic...as soon as I find it. LOL.

      Delete
  11. Amazing lamp! I tried to tell my husband about how cool it was and he just looked at me and went, 'meh.' Silly man.
    ~Trudy http://thriftscore42.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...