Thursday, April 5, 2012

Starry Eyed

I recently got some flak on the Tatter and Fray Facebook page about the starburst clock on the wall in my family room. No matter what anyone says, starburst clocks and mirrors are among of my favorite accessories, whether truly vintage or vintage-inspired. The original version by George Nelson is a design icon.  The one I have is a hand-me-down from my grandmother and it was made by Elgin. It's  steel with a woodgrain finish, and it weights an absolute TON. It's pointy and sharp and could easily double as a lethal weapon!  It's not currently running, and while I've been tempted to get it fixed, I clearly remember from the many sleepness nights I spent at Grandma Carol's house as kid that it makes a loud bonging noise every hour on the hour. So for now, I'll let it remain quiet.


I love starbursts because just that one piece can have such a huge impact in a room. They can be either kitschy or elegant, but they're always eye-catching.  Here are some of my favorites:

This stunner of a living room from Freckle Wonder has a fun, mid-century vibe and TWO starburst clocks!


I love this one, from More Ways to Waste Time, because it blends beautifully with more traditional elements.


Over at Inspiration Bubble, a mid-century clock against some glammy, ornate wallpaper. I'd never think of doing this, but it looks amazing!


I love the combination of the graphic yellow wall design and the spiky clock in this photo:

{Via dreamgreendiy.com}
Check out this sleek mid-century modern inspired room, with a really pointy, metallic version of the starburst clock:

{Via mimomito.wordpress.com}
Here's a super favorite from betweenyourearsblog.com (I love this blog, by the way!):


That one has more of a Hollywood Regency style than its midcentury modern cousins, but I find it equally fabulous. I have one very similar to this that I'll be listing in the shop eventually, when I get around to having it fixed so it keeps time again!

Vitra even created a museum exhibit dedicated to George Nelson's sun/starburst clocks. How amazing is this display?

{Via www.stardust.com}
Finally, I absolutely adore this version, which was converted from a non-working clock to a mirror. Genius!

{Via the amazing LAX to YVR}

So...have I convinced the naysayers? I hope so. These clocks are such a symbol of vintage American decor; there's really nothing else like them. They're so fresh and modern today!  Don't you agree?

{Via I dream lo-tech}
. . .Joan certain does!

xoxo

Linking with Vintage Thingie Thursday.


23 comments:

  1. awesome round-up! love the images!! i'm about to start pinning them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! Totally heart your blog, BTW. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the clocks, I remember someone in our family had one too when I was younger, but can not remember who had it!! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I definitely agree! The one thing I have learned over the years about style and decorating is that nothing is really "out" anymore.........and the most important thing about decorating is that the people who live with it are happy with it.......I can tell that YOU are! I love the clocks.....thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  4. I think you clock looks very nice among all your vintage and other goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! So glad you had a chance to stop by.

      Delete
  5. Love this post and sunburst clocks! My hsb. made a copy of the George Nelson sunburst with the wooden colored points. I need to blog about it sometime! Visiting from Colorado Lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam: I've seen some amazing DIY hacks of these clocks--some look better than the "authentic" ones! You should definitely post about your husband's version!

      Delete
  6. Where I used to live, the neighbor across the street had a collection of starburst clocks across the top of a wall in her living room. She hunted them in thrift shops and yard sales. Most are corded, not battery operated as most of today's clocks are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool to have a whole collection! They're really hard to find in yard sales and thrifts now. Good for her!

      Delete
  7. Whoop Whoop for YOU and the Spikey Wall Clock!!! You sure did set the naysayers straight with your very informative descriptions and photos. Loved the museum display...would you not love to have that display on your wall...I sure would. I grew up in the 50's and 60's and I know my Mom had one of those clocks. Wish I had it today....neat that you have your grandmothers....a real treasure. Great post...Tick Tock...Well Done! Thanks for stopping by CITexas Gal....Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I would LOVE to have a wall of clocks! Isn't that museum exhibit photo cool? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Everyone I know loves starburst clocks, who was hatin' on yours?? I'd been looking for one for years (they're usually really expensive when I see them) and finally found one at an estate sale on my birthday!

    I loved looking through all the versions of the clock, it would be amazing to have a wall of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I was seriously shocked that anyone would dislike them! So awesome that you found one at an estate sale...way to go! I almost never see them in thrift stores, tag sales, estate sales, etc. Sometimes in vintage or antique shops, but they're always super pricey.

      Delete
  9. Second to last photo - *drool*!!! I think they're pretty cool! They add a lot of personality to a room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The naysayers usually don't have any style of their own! People should just NOT comment if they don't have something nice to say! Your pictures make me want to keep looking for one of those charming clocks. Keep on postin'...great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this post & all of the starburst clocks. They certainly are timeless pieces that never seem to go out of style! I have a Lux teak one hanging in our home & it isn't running either btw. Lol. Not because it doesn't, but just because I forget to change the battery!
    Adore your blog :-)
    Cheers ~ Lara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lara! Your clock sounds cool. I'd love to have a teak one someday.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...