Sunday, March 4, 2012

Thrift Report: A Mixed Bag

Hello vintage loving friends!  My thrifted finds this week were a motley lot...no common thread; no common style. Sometimes I just pick up any old thing that appeals to me, rather than specifically hunting for what I think will sell well in the shop. I find the best stuff when I don't overthink it.

No, this is not a giant wooden letter "H" (though that would be cool, too). . .


No siree.  It's actually a collapsable wooden candle holder. Like a minimalist, modern candelabra of sorts.




It's blocky and cool and would look amazing full of tapers as the centerpiece at a dinner party.

I also found a super retro set of two chrome canisters:


I love a good vintage canister, and I really love that these are labeled for cookies and coffee (true staples!) rather than just the usual sugar and flour.

Speaking of shiny goodness....I also scored a BUNCH of silverplate last week, all in one stop.


There's a Reed and Barton enameled Paul Revere bowl; a Reed and Barton complete lotus flower frog set; an amazing International Silver pitcher; and a set of enormous weighted Gorham candlesticks. I know that some people don't own silver because they can't face the polishing, but I actually enjoy it. It's meditative for me. Nonetheless, it looks like I have a LOT of polishing ahead of me!

I was super excited to find these two vintage books.



I'm a crazily prolific book collector...have been all my life. For purely decorative purposes, I can't resist an interesting spine or a beautiful cover, and these two had both. I love the modern green leaf pattern on the Oscar Wilde volume, and the deco styling of the red book stole my heart. I'll be keeping these two, I think.

One last find that I wanted to share this week is this set of five mid-century style rocks glasses.



I love the retro design in gold and white. They are heavy and fabulous--perfect for a vintage inspired bar cart. 



There you have the highlights of my thrifting week!  As I mentioned earlier, it was a bit of a mixed bag, style-wise, but I was still really pleased with my purchases. Did you have a favorite find this week? I'm linking up with the blogs below to check out everyone else's finds. Happy thrifting!

xo


Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Sunday's Best at My 1929 Charmer
Thrifty Love at Cap Creations
A Happy Girl Collectables
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Twice Owned Tuesday at House of Grace

13 comments:

  1. At first I thought the candle holder was a puzzle or brain teaser-- it's a very clever design and would add a sleek touch to any table. Neat canisters too, cookies & coffee are WAY more important than flour in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic stuff as usual! What a unique candle holder and the canisters are my fave. Who doesn't love cookies and coffee? Thanks for linking up at Cap Creations this week and for your kind comments there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the canisters!

    Hope you will share your great finds on my linky :)

    http://happygirlsebayadventures.blogspot.com/2012/03/latest-thrift-finds-link-it-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those books really are beautiful! I love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that candle holder is the coolest thing. and i LOVE those books... i hope that kindles really don't replace books. it would be a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the candle holder! Nice and blocky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cannisters are fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A mix bag keeps things interesting. Just look at all the neat stuff you found.
    Your newest follower,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, congratulations on that candle holder. It's so, so cool - Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THanks for linking to my thrifty finds party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh the canister set is so cool, but then so is the candle holder. I also buy books many times for their cover or color, love yours. You found some great finds. Don't you just love it. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazingly good finds! The candelabra is so unique, and silver plate is getting harder to find. I am also a book collector (have been since college days) and I only buy then when they're cheap. I have a book with the same cover design as your black one, but it is a different title and author. It's the only one I have ever seen, and I look regularly. Like you, I'm a sucker for a pretty cover, regardless of the old saying!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...