Monday, March 12, 2012

Thrift Report: Matchy-Matchy

Okay, prepare yourselves for a rant. There are oodles of Goodwills in Indianapolis, and while they are not my favorite vintage source, they are everywhere, so I do check them out on a regular basis. It is my understanding that most of their merchandise is distributed to the individual stores from their central processing location. What bugs me is that they refuse to keep sets of things -- dishes, glassware, series of books, etc. -- together as sets. As a vintage dealer, it's frustrating because if I find three fabulous glasses in one location, I know the other three (or six, or nine) are probably scattered across their other locations. A full set of dishes? Impossible to find. And I don't think it just affects me as a dealer; I'm sure individual shoppers looking for some new dishware or cookware or flatware would appreciate finding a matched set. On the other hand, their "method" of breaking up sets certainly keeps me on my toes!  Here are some recent Goodwill finds...


One of the prettiest sets of cocktail glasses I've ever seen!  Crystal with a light gray smoked bowl and a silver rim. Found four of them in a Goodwill north of the city, and another two at a Goodwill closer to my house, along with these matching roly poly glasses:


I found five of these gold rimmed goblets at one Goodwill location a few weeks ago...


...and three more of them, plus four matching champagne coupes at another Goodwill. I later found two additional champagne coupes at yet another location!


I listed these four AMAZING Salem China plates in my shop a couple of weeks ago:


Just this weekend, I spotted the four matching bowls at a completely different GW location!  Here they are, reunited:


These Imperial Candlewick champagne coupes?  Found them scattered across THREE different stores:


Then over the weekend, I found the matching cordial glasses in two locations. I bet there are two more champagne glasses out there somewhere!


I am currently "collecting" a set of glassware with bamboo-shaped stems. I find one single piece in just about every Goodwill store I visit. Eventually, I'll have a full set!  Same with an umarked set of blue willow...there's a single plate in almost every Goodwill store in central Indiana. Coincidence? I think not.

Okay, rant over. I know there are much bigger problems in the world; I know I am lucky to have such a huge number of thrift stores at my disposal. But if the fine people of Goodwill of Central Indiana should ever happen upon my humble blog, I BEG them to try to keep sets of glassware, dishes, flatware, and other housewares together. The vintage sellers of the world will thank you!

Finally, to end on a postive note, I wanted to share this pretty little unicorn figurine I found for a few dollars over the weekend:


He's going right to the shop, and I hope he'll bring his new owner much luck!

Have a wonderful week, everyone! xoxo






...Sunday's Best Linky Party!

The Thrifty Groove
 

19 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that they distributed everything like that - how completely frustrating. With that being said, what you've found so far is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. I don't know if all GWs are that way, or if we're just extra "lucky" here in Indy. ;)

      Delete
  2. I would hate that! I do not think that is their policy here in SoCal. I'm glad you hunt them down though! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so strange! I rarely go to Goodwill since the only stores are pretty far away and I don't usually find much... I wonder if they do that here, too? I'm impressed that you still managed to put together a bunch of sets, which are all awesome, by the way! And that unicorn is just hilarious in a very good way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I can't decided if I love the unicorn or if I'm appalled by it, but I definitely had to buy it! ;)

      Delete
    2. Throwing my hat into the ring- I think the unicorn is awesome!

      Delete
  4. Love it all! I didn't realize that Goodwill breaks up sets- that doesn't make any sense!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!:)I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. I'm following you as well!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, lots of gorgeous vintage things in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Value Village here has decided to bag their flatware and hang it on the wall. About 2.99 per bag. BUT THEN THEY SPLIT UP THE MATCHING PIECES. So if you really are trying to put a set together, you'd have to buy 5 of these bags, and then have a bunch of leftover pieces. Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds! I love everything you got. I've got a barware problem and usually have to buy it if I see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. MAN! I didn't realize that IS probably what happens when central locations divvy up the goods. Lincoln, NE has quite a few goodwills too and if I went in there on a regular basis, I bet the same shenanigans would be the subject of a rant by me!

    in a weird twisted sort of way, isn't it kinda fun though...like a never ending specific treasure hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How funny, we just got in a larger version of your brass unicorn at the antique shop where I work.

    Also there is only one Goodwill in Chicago and it mainly has newer stuff. Luckily we have tons of Salvation Army stores and they tend to keep their sets of dishes together (all my '50s sets come from there!).

    I like the smoked roly poly glasses you found, too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like the Goodwill Stores have been good to you. It is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have loved shopping at Goodwill for years and years but lately...not so much. Their prices have gone up really high and great scores are far and few between. Also, try and find cups with saucers. The saucers are on sale but no cups. (Perhaps someone in the back room only uses mugs and tosses the cups?) Plus, they use packing tape to tape things together and I have had the gold paint taken off of pieces. Grr, frustrating. My rant over, great hunting on your part. I too, have found stray pieces around the various GW's here, and as you wrote, doesn't make a lick of sense but it does give me a small victory when I have a match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had issues with the tape, too, suzieQ, and with GW writing prices on items in permanent marker. So frustrating. If only they would put me in charge...I'd whip that place into shape! ;)

      Delete
  12. I agree I find it very frustrating both for not "keeping" likes together but also that darn tape of there's. I have also found their prices to have increased a lot lately. But most of the thrift stores I have been visiting are doing the same. they are selling items they receive for free at very high prices. Its rare to find those great deals anymore. but I do love Good will. You were lucky to eventually end up with sets.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't realize that was the "modus operandi." Very often, I'll find some great vintage items at a GW, but will not buy them because it's not a complete set. I commend you for your perseverance (and remembering what you already bought)!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - interesting! I certainly hope the match-making keeps the prices lower for you. I suppose there's a certain satisfaction in reuniting long lost mates....:)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...