Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Rug Killer

This is Gus. He's 70 lbs of adorable, furry canine goodness. He loves people and toys and blankets and treats. In the 3.5 years since I adopted him, he's never, not even once, had an accident in the house.


Nonetheless, he's affectionately known as the Rug Killer.  Don't let those puppy dog eyes fool you! While he's reasonably well behaved (save for some nuisance barking and an obsession with the neighbors' hound dog), he cannot be trusted alone with a rug. His methods vary, but his objective is always the same: Demolish the rug. Kill the carpet. Destroy the floor covering.  I don't know what the attraction is, but he really loves rugs - loves chewing them, unraveling them, peeling off the rubber rug pads and chewing them into kazillions of pieces.

I've been through a revolving door of area rugs since his arrival. The primary "war zone" is the family room, where he sleeps and where he hangs out most of the time. We started out with a small berber carpet remnant:


Cause of death:  Rubber backing ripped off and stained by muddy paws.  There was also a minor incident involving a doggie nail trim gone wrong and some blood droplets, but we won't talk about that. I still have guilt.


Next, I found a darker beige shag replacement, kind of like this one from Home Decorators Collection:


Cause of death: Projectile vomiting. Apparently Gus is allergic to certain foods, but it took a while to figure that out. Have you ever tried to remove dog vomit from a shag rug? Or ANYTHING from a shag rug, for that matter? Suddenly, I understood why they had gone out of style. They are completely and utterly impossible to clean.

Next, I actually got around to decorating the family room and decided I wanted to go for a warm, kind of "English library" look. Bad choice. Warm colors make me claustrophobic after a while. I found an overpriced, persian-style rug in shades of gold and chocolate brown. Terrible, oppressive choice for the room. More importantly, terrible choice for Gus.

You can see a corner of the hideous thing in this photo. Please ignore the immodest dog pose, but I had no other shots of that rug, such was my hatred for it:

I really wish he could learn to relax...

Cause of death: Frayed corner (from chewing) and it showed dog hair like nobody's business. The rug is not technically dead, but it was quickly exiled to the basement.

Next, I decided I needed a less dreary, lighter look. I wanted a sisal or a jute mat--something natural and airy. After quite a bit of research, though, I decided it was too risky. So many reviews of those rugs listed staining as a problem. Time for plan B: I ordered a large berber (yes, again) remnant in the shade that I thought most resembled jute. In the store, it was a dead ringer for the natural fibers I craved. When I got it home...not so much. It just looked like a nice, beige berber. *SIGH*

Before:


. . . and after:


Cause of death: Chewing (obviously); staining (more mud); ripped rug pad (he enjoys folding the rug in half and attacking the rubber padding underneath); and unraveling. He holds loose carpet strings in his mouth and rolls over, unraveling it as he goes. Weirdo.

All of this brings me to the present. Two weeks ago I finally accepted that it was time to replace the rug again. I went to Garden Ridge (a big box discount housewares store) and rooted through their dirt cheap carpet remnants, but everything seemed to be the color of band-aids. From afar, though, I spotted a stack of huge indoor/outdoor rugs. One in particular caught my eye: a sage green trellis-patterned rug in a synthetic material that looked and felt like natural fibers. Only $99 for an 8x10! Too good to be true, right? I thought so. I went home empty handed, but soon came to my senses and went back to make the purchase.

And let me tell you...I LOVE IT! 




It's stain resistant, and because it's made from synthetic material and is meant as an indoor/outdoor rug, it can actually be HOSED OFF should something (vomiting? muddy paw attack?) happen!

I really think it brightens up the room, too...



So far, I'm pleased to report that the rug hasn't shown much dog hair, has held up to dog zoomies and drool, and, best of all, Gus hasn't tried to chew it!  He picked up a corner in his mouth the other day, and before I could do anything, he looked at me funny and spit it out...as if it tasted bad or something. YES!



Could this be the answer to all of my [rug-related] problems? Dare I hope? Gus certainly seems to like it...keep your fingers crossed for me!


xoxo

13 comments:

  1. Laughing so hard...great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Too funny! I have two big dogs, so feel your pain. I love that Gus tried to chew it and spit it out! It looks really good. I hope it lasts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny - but a little close to my own experiences with "Kes". His specialty is bedding. He lies on the bed watching for other dogs and when he sees them he has to violently "worry" the sheets and blankets. Why - I don't know....but sheets can rip under this abuse. Rugs don't stand up in our home either - vomit is the work of the devil!

    The current rug is AMAZING! I also love you lovely sectional - just what I had in mind for our house.

    Great post and pictures of the culprit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, sorry I didn't see this comment sooner, but thanks! It sounds like Kes and Gus would get along swimmingly. Gus also "worries" the bedding regularly, but he's not quite as violent as he is with rugs. Go figure.

      Delete
  4. LOL!! Our puppy is also a rug killer! He has destroyed every throw rug we had in the garage, our main way in and out of the house. Now I just keep an old towel on a table to wipe our feet on, then back on the table it goes. It's funny cause he doesn't really bother the house rugs, just the garage ones. BTW, LOVE your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi! Glad someone else feels my pain. It's amazing what we'll put up with for those adorable furballs, isn't it? ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh, Gus. I always say it's a good thing they are so darn cute! My Jolene peed on the shag rug just as soon as we got it! Very frustrating. I kept pouring Nature's Miracle on it, and it didn't seem like it was working. But after about two weeks of drying, you couldn't smell it anymore. You never know what could happen around here. I love your new rug, though. It's great. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo! Nature's Miracle is good stuff...

      Delete
  6. So cute!! Love the pics of Gus :)
    I'm now following (I love your old suitcases-I have a big stack!) and would love you to visit me back!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm… it seemed that Gus’ rug-killing antics was finally over, huh? Perhaps he didn’t like those rugs before that they all ended up frayed and tattered. Anyway, I can’t blame Gus; the replacement is lovely.

    Tami Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, that adorable furry canine goodness is the culprit for all those damaged carpets? Haha! Too bad you can’t really choose between those carpets and the dogs. Thankfully, you’ve found one that’s basically resistant to stains, dog hairs, and drool. Also, the best thing is that he doesn’t seem to like its taste, so he doesn't chew them anymore. Great, isn’t it?

    Bennie Dixon @ Safeclean Wandsworth

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...