Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mad for Mad Men!

It's been sooo very long, I can hardly believe it's here....Season 5 of Mad Men!!!!

{Photo via amctv.com}
Did you watch the premiere?  What did you think? Personally, I loved it. The two hours felt like 30 minutes to me, and I'm now officially obsessed with sunken living rooms.

In tribute to the long-awaited return of one of my favorite shows, I thought I'd feature a few thrifted finds that exude that Mad Men style.  One of the iconic symbols of the show is Dorothy Thorpe Silver Band barware. The simple, retro pattern includes a sterling silver overlay around the edge of clear glass, and includes the classic "roly poly" lowball glass, dinnerware, and barware of all sorts. Imitators from the era also abound, and can often be equally lovely. 

Below is a collection of silver band pieces I've thrifted over the last six months or so. Some of it is authentic Dorothy Thorpe; some pieces are lookalikes. They are all lovely in a glamourous, minimalist kind of way.


Some people like to leave the silver tarnished on these vintage pieces. I, personally, find them at their most beautiful when the silver is shined to its original, sparkling state just as it was intended.

Probably the two rarest pieces in this particular collection are the two ENORMOUS vases.

They are technically "bud vases" in the Silver Band line, but they're so gigantic, I can't imagine what kind of "buds" would fit in them. They'd be wonderful on either end of a large mantel, or even as alter vases at a wedding. Funny story: the estate sale where I bought them had labeled them as "yard glasses" - like you'd find in an Irish pub!  I guess they do kind of look like them!

Here they are, all shined up:


I just love this compote. Wouldn't it look amazing as a super chic fruit bowl? So modern...


This cocktail set came from a junk shop that I visit a couple of times a year:


I've had them a while and still haven't polished the silver; I just haven't had the time. I can't wait, though, to see them all shined up! The junk shop owner told me that her parents used this set to drink their after-work cocktails when she was a kid.

I'll be cleaning up and listing all of the pieces in the next few weeks; I thought it would be fun to list them as the season of Mad Men progresses.

What was your favorite part of the premiere episode? Did you watch?

Linking up to the following parties to see what thrifted treasures everyone else uncovered!

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Sunday's Best at My 1929 Charmer
Thrifty Love at Cap Creations
Thirfty Things Friday at the Thrifty Groove
Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring

13 comments:

  1. I don't watch the show, but your glasses are cute, how fun it would be to have a theme party! I'm now a Linky follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch the show or much tv at all since having kids. Your glassware is pretty great though. The vases are so unique. Thanks for joining us at cap creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of silver band! Great collection. Hurry up and list them, they fly off the virtual shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them, so very MM. Unfortunately the new season takes a while before shown on Norwegian tv, hopefully will get them on DVD soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Mad Men and I did watch the show last night. All I could think is there only 13 episodes a season and one is already gone - I get so engaged in it. Don & Megan's penthouse apartment was fabulous! Jon Hamm is an alumni of the same university from which I graduated and I am hoping he will be the grand marshall of the Homecoming parade in the near future. He is divine! Oh, love the tall bud vases - very funny that they were labeled yard glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That set is a-mazing. Seriously. I don't know if I could part with it. So, I've never watched Mad Men but the way everyone talks about it, I feel like I'm missing out. I think I might try and watch some back episodes on Netflix tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all your finds, great blog! Is there a way to tell if a piece is Dorothy Thorpe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jil. Thanks for stopping by! Most Dorothy Thorpe (the silver band pattern, at least) is unmarked. Occasionally you will come across a piece that still has an original sticker attached, but usually those are long gone. A lot of silver band (the drinking glasses, especially) has a band that's one inch wide (usually wider than imitations)and it's usually a more satin finish. Many newer pieces or similar patterns seem to have a really shiny band. My best source of info is the replacements.com web site. They have specs and photographs/sketches of the different pieces that made up the silver band line.

      Delete
  8. I love Mad Men! The premier was fabulous and loved the song "Zou Bisou Bisou" (oh, kiss kiss) by Megan. The second hour had some snappy dialogue and you are right it felt like 30 not 120min. Can't wait for Sunday - I'll be watching. Great vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zou Bisou Bisou was an instant classic, n'est-ce pas? :)

      Delete
  9. I hate to admit it, but I've never watched Mad Men, of gosh please don't hate me. Loving all your silver pieces and I also like them all buffed up looking new. Your set is amazing! They do look minimalist but lovely. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them all! I have several sets of the glasses that I have picked up over the years thrifting. I have never watched Mad Men but, am thinking I want to check it out soon. Thank you for joining TTF this past week and have a terrific day!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...