Sunday, February 26, 2012

Thrift Report: Favorite Finds

I've had some great luck in the last week or so, but three finds really stood out to me.

When I spotted this iconic mid-century spice rack by Copco on a thrift store shelf, I gasped. Audibly. 


I've admired the geometric design of this piece in photographs for a long time, but never come across one in person. And I'd never seen it in yellow, which I LOVE.  It even has the cool vintage store price tag still attached:


Sure, I could blast the sticker off with a little heat from my hair dryer, but I kind of like it.  The best part, though?


That's right....ALLthe original glass spice jars are intact. In fact, they look like they've never been used. Woo hoo!  This is too good of a find not to list in the shop, but I admit I'll be a little envious of whoever ends up buying it.

Another favorite find this week is a set of four vintage (early 70s, I would guess) glasses.  I buy and sell a lot of glassware, but these really appealed to me for some reason:




I think it's the richness of the red, yellow, and green colors, still so vibrant after all these years. I just love them!

Finally, my favorite find of all.  I was strolling through a particularly seedy thrift store recently when i noticed a dusty zippered case shoved to the back of a bottom shelf.



It looked too small to be a sewing machine or typewriter, so I just HAD to open it up and see what was inside...



....and it was a typewriter after all!  A very small typewriter.


A very European-looking typewriter in a fabulous retro aqua blue.  Oh yes.


An Olivetti Lettera 32, to be exact. And I admit, the audible gasp thing happened again in that moment.  I don't know a ton about vintage typewriters, but I know that Olivettis are pretty collectable as far as these machines go. The super small size made it the laptop (or maybe the iPad?) of its day--preferred by foreign correspondents and expat writers and those on the go. Cormac McCarthy supposedly used one.

To my novice eye, this one looks to be in great shape. All the keys work, it has a useable ribbon, and beyond some dust and grime, both the machine and case seem to be in great cosmetic condition. I think I may try to hunt down someone who services vintage typewriters to give it a once-over before I list it. In the meantime, if it happens to look AWESOME sitting on top of my black Paul McCobb desk, well that's just a bonus, right?


Did you unearth any unexpected treasures this week? I hope so!  xoxo

Linking up here:

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville


...Sunday's Best Linky Party!






--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

26 comments:

  1. Double gasp! Love your eclectic array of goodies!
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these things never happen in Norway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha...I bet you find some other great stuff in Norway, though!

      Delete
  3. A treasure trove of thrift items. I love looking in the back of shelves and dark nooks for things, the type writer is very nice. ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paulette. The best stuff is always at the backs of the shelves!

      Delete
  4. The sticker on the spice rack brings back memories. I was a child in the 1970's, and my Dad was in the Navy. We did much of our shopping at the Navy Exchange, which for those who might not know is a store on the Navy base, available only to military personnel and families. The stickers and the store signs all looked just like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon. I thought it was probably some kind of military store, but I appreciate the additional info. I love the retro sticker!

      Delete
  5. The spice rack is fabulous! I would leave the sticker on, too - it just seems right! And the typewriter, well, just too cool. I have an aqua and an orange typerwriter and I haven't been able to part with them yet. Gasp, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know; I just love it. I SO do not need a typewriter at ALL, but I'm not sure I can part with it! ;)

      Delete
  6. Love that Typewriter! What a great week you had :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nell. I'm heading over to check out your finds next!

      Delete
  7. Awesome finds! All three are fantastic. I totally agree with you about the glasses.. there is just something about them that is really nice to look at. Finding beautiful things hiding in thrift stores is the best! The color and style of that typewriter is just perfect. And don't worry, you're not the only one who gasps out loud at great finds... I've been known to make some weird excited noises myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that spice rack! The color is awesome. I'd have a hard time letting that one go too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the yellow spice rack!!! Kicking myself in the arse for not grabbing a similar item made out of wood. That type writer is quite the beauty as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great rack, and to have all of the jars too, amazing! I also love the typewriter, so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the spice rack..with the containers...amazing!

    I have that same typewriter!! I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure scored! The spice rack is awesome - yellow is my favorite color. And the typewriter is so cute. Thrifting is so fun!! I'm following you back. Thanks for visiting Cottage and Creek.
    Lynn
    www.cottageandcreek.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, oh, oh! that typewriter is QUITE lovely...and am loving the spice rack...and it being yellow?! wow, kudos to you for the will power to sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow you scored some really great find, love your Olivetti typewrite, what a score, and that aqua color, so cool. Love the spice rack, actually love it all. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS - now following you on linky, hope you link back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are making me feel "vintage" since I am STILL using my white Copco spice rack that I bought, new, when I was first married. Yikes, I have to laugh that what I am using is now vintage and collectable. Oh well, what goes around, comes around and it just goes to show what great taste I have, wink! I grew up during the 50's and some things that I didn't really care for I now wish I had, like my aunt's aluminum Christmas tree and her kidney shaped coffee table. The tree was a bit to strange for my young mind at the time, but now, I would adore having it. Love your taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzie! Your comment made me smile. You were obviously way ahead of your time when you picked out that spice rack! And yes, I too wish for an aluminum Christmas tree every year. If only... :)

      Delete
  17. I LOVE than spice rack!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My mum has that typewriter (I'll have to pinch it when she's not looking) LOVE the spice rack.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...