Monday, January 2, 2012

Thrift Score Monday: Happy New Year!

Happy 2012, friends!

I've taken a break from blogging the last couple of weeks to focus on the holidays, but I'm ready to get back in the swing of things.  I've spent the last two days industriously cataloging and photographing backlogged inventory for the shop, and in doing so, I realized once and for all that I need to lay off the shopping! :)  I've decided to take a hiatus from (gasp!) thrifting for the month of January and focus instead of organizing and prepping my current inventory. For this month, therefore, my Thrift Score Monday posts will focus on treasures I picked up over the last six months or so but haven't had a chance to show you. Believe me...there are plenty!

Without further ado, here is one of my most memorable finds from last summer:


Surprisingly, all but one of these pieces came in one haul!  I was in a local thrift back in July, I think, when I noticed a mod cream planter on an endcap. I snapped it up, of course. Rounding the bend, I spotted DOZENS of other pieces of cream pottery down the next aisle. It was clearly someone's collection. They were mostly florist line pieces from the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but there were a few earlier pieces mixed in. Some were unmarked, and some were marked Hull, McCoy, McCoy Floraline, and Haeger pieces.


First and foremost, I was thrilled with my luck. I spent the next 20 minutes or so sorting through what was there, discarding any chipped pieces, and scouring the store for stray pieces that had been placed in other aisles. Beyond my happiness, though, I felt a tinge of sadness. As a pottery devotee, I can assure you that no one assembles such a lovely collection and then ditches it at the local Goodwill. I know that these pieces were collected by someone who loved them, and the reasons that they ended up in a thrift store are undoubtedly sad ones. I know I'm sometimes too emotional about the history of the vintage objects I buy, but I was truly glad that I was the one that found them; that they ended up with someone who appreciates them and who will bring them back to market for other collectors to appreciate and cherish.

One of the pieces pictured is an early Nelson McCoy vase that I purchased elsewhere (eBay) last March:



The signature on the bottom is the old "NM" mark, and the person who was selling it didn't recognize it for what it was--a rare and relatively valueable piece of McCoy. I managed to score it for $5 plus shipping. As with many pottery pieces, I'm having a hard time parting with it, but I'll most likely list it in the shop eventually.

For now, though, I'm happy to see this collection (plus my McCoy vase) assembled one last time. I have always loved the sculptural effect of large collections of pottery of all one color displayed together, and this is no exception.




Have you made any interesting vintage scores lately? I'm linking up with the following blogs to find out what others in the blogosphere have discovered!

Thrift Share Monday at Apron Thrift Girl
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
The Pennyworthy Project at Hey What's for Dinner Mom
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm


Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a huge Keeper Of Pottery, but I must say, your collection shown in all sorts of shapes, sizes, patterns and colors of white is quite-QUITE-awesome. nice rare ebay score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, found mostly together, that is amazing!!! Just imagine all of the beautiful possibilities they have.

    I can ID one for you. Mine was unmarked, but I found it in a book. If I remember it was from the later 60's. It was sold in a multiple purchase batch, and I deleted the info from Etsy. Now I know, never delete any info!

    Anyways, it is further down in the post, so keep scrolling. I figured it was still easier than trying to point out which it is in your beautiful photos.

    Nice job! I am doing the same thing with my stock. Just think of how organized we'll be come spring!

    Here is the post - http://momwaldsplace.blogspot.com/2010/08/summer-whites-for-my-white-mood.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding collections of things at the thrift store makes me sad, too. Even if it is stuff I would never want I always stop and look, just in case I can give at least one little thing a good home. Glad someone else feels the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sad, also, when I find a collection at the thrift stores, though sometimes, I think that maybe the family kept the best pieces...talk about trying to put a better spin on things, eh? I have the exact little round McCoy pot that is sitting on the left hand side, full of spearment mints. It looks wonderful and I always smile when I repurpose a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love your pottery and your story about it. I do the same thing - wondering how some cool item ended up orphaned in a thrift store. I happily snatch it up and take it home. :)
    A new follower,
    Revi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! Mom Wald: I found the post. Thanks--very helpful! And I got a chance to peruse your lovely blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely collection - and I imagine it is difficult to part with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I envy you! I am a pottery collector (both white/cream and green) and I would have fainted in the aisles if I saw ALL these pieces in one place. Great find!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...