Monday, December 5, 2011

Thrift Score Monday: Random Goodness

I did hardly ANY thrifting or antiquing this past week, if you can believe it!  It's that time of year when holiday shopping trumps all else. Plus, this Saturday was our first nice, sunny, non-rainy/snowy day in ages, and I had a backlog of around-the-house chores to accomplish: raking, stowing away the deck furniture, cleaning gutters, painting the trim around my new(ish) back door....  Treasure hunting or raking?  You can see how it was a difficult--torturous, almost--choice. But I buckled down and did the right thing. I stayed home and worked. SIGH.

Today, therefore, I'll be featuring a few fun things I've picked up over the last month or so but haven't had a chance to feature. It's a pretty random assortment, but I hope you like it!

First, a "mystery find"...


This set of three blue mugs with snap-off wooden handles and the matching shallow lidded bowl with removeable wooden and metal base just blew my mind. They're sooo art deco and unusual. I've never seen anything like them. Naturally, I scoured the thrift store where I found them for a fourth mug and any other pieces, but this is all I came up with. I've researched them like crazy but haven't found much. I thought they might be Padre Pottery of California, which made some other wooden-handled pieces, but I haven't found any definitive reference, and their pieces were usually signed and featured glossier glazes. Here are a couple more shots:


 Does anyone have any clues as to what these are, or who made them? It's driving me crazy, folks!

Moving on, I found this three-tiered mid-century modern candelabra a few weeks ago on a trip:

 It came from a tiny, ramshackle secondhand store out in the country. It made me wonder what kind of groovy character had something this cool in their home out in such a decidedly non-cool, non-hip, middle-of-nowhere town.

Another favorite find from the last few weeks was this set of two modern brass horse sculptures:


They are super glam...very Hollywood Regency...and I've never seen another one like them. Each sits on a metal base for stability. Unbelieveably, I found these at Goodwill!  They were pricy for Goodwill, but sooo worth it.

Finally, I found this old McCoy stoneware buttermilk pitcher at another thrift:

This piece is really early McCoy, and unmarked. I love the semi-Greek Key border and the diamond pattern. I would have loved it more in green, but for the price I paid, brown is great too! It's in wonderful condition. I can only guess that no one before me recognized it as McCoy, or I'm sure it would have been snapped up.

That's it for my finds this week!  I hope everyone else has had a productive week, and managed to find a few vintage treaures amidst all the retail mania of the Christmas season. Have a great week!

Linking with:
Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures
What I Love About the Thrift Store at Cap Creations (***who featured my vintage ornaments from last week...woo hoo...thanks Cap Creations!) 
Restyled Sundays at Stylish Once Again
The Pennyworthy Project at Hey What's For Dinner Mom?

Sunday's Best Linky Party! Meet Virginia Design



 Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

Photobucket



8 comments:

  1. I love the blue. I have decorated my kitchen in various colors of blue pottery after receiving a kitchenaid that color as a gift. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really fantastic finds! I LOVE those wood handled mugs and casserole! Sorry I can't be of any help in IDing them. McCoy is something I have to learn more about, I am glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather! You always find some really cool stuff. I am particularly drawn to those beautiful horses. Very sleek and modern.

    I found my first piece of Pyrex yesterday, an Opal White piece made for Hamilton Beach. I love that it has 4 bands around the top.

    Happy Hunting =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You scored some really nice stuff. I love the cups/server, great color, but can't help in id.ing. Try looking on eBay to see if you find anything similar there. I love McCoy, so was excited to see you scored a really nice pitcher. Wow, how can someone not recognize McCoy. Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Andrea and Cathy. Thanks again for hosting! Andrea: I know the exact Hamilton Beach you're talking about, with the 4 bands. Great score!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cups and bowl are incredible! Congrats on a wonderful and so unique find!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have pics if you want to see them

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Tumbler and Casserole are Tudor Art Tile Company from Los Angeles, 1927 - 1939.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...