Monday, October 31, 2011

Thrift Score Monday

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! 

I found an interesting assortment of pottery pieces this week. First, I grabbed this pretty milk pitcher at a local thrift store:
It's unmarked but in mint condition. It's the kind of thing I normally have no trouble identifying, but for some reason this one has me stumped. I don't think it's Fiesta, Harlequin, Riviera, Bauer, McCoy, Metlox, or Hall.  Anyone?  ANYONE?  I feel like it's obvious and that I'm just experiencing a mental block. In any case, I thought it was lovely.


I was also thrilled to find this Harlequin ball pitcher at the Goodwill on Saturday:


It's in great condition--so much so that I thought it was a reproduction at first--but after doing some research, I'm pretty certain it's an original Harlequin piece. It's unmarked and is the exact size and color of a Harlequin pitcher, plus it features the unique ring pattern around the bottom that was the Harlequin trademark. 

The pitcher does have a significant issue: there are some major glaze skips on the other side.



You can see them in this shot, towards the top. They don't bother me much, since it's a factory flaw rather than post-production damage, but it's definitely not a perfect piece. Nonetheless, I love that someone owned this pitcher and loved it and kept it in otherwise-perfect condition for years and years despite its flaws. Not something that would likely happen in our modern, disposable society!

OK, social commentary over. :)  Next up, I found two gorgeous pieces of Fiestaware for almost nothing at another thrift:

A mint condition cream and sugar set...
...and a matching set of salt and pepper shakers.
I love Fiestaware!  I use an old 1980s set of Fiesta that belonged to my mother for my everyday dishes. The dark cobalt color of these pieces are not part of my current set, so I'll probably sell them in the shop, but I love looking at them while I have them! 

All in all, it was a productive week of treasure hunting. I love all of these pieces -- did you notice that they all kind of go together? -- and I can't believe that they all managed to survive the thrift store jungle without any chips. A minor thrifting miracle. 

What did you find this week?  I'm linking with the following blogs to check out everyone else's discoveries!

   Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I am jealous of your great finds. . .I collect pitchers and the ones you found are GORGEOUS! love the Fiestaware too. awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds. I love fiesta ware too, but I don't find it easily. Love the pitchers too, sorry I can't help with I. D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous finds. You must have such a good time shopping for all these treasures...they are amazing.It must be so difficult to part with them though. I have joined your followers list and invite you to join my followers list; as well,I hope you will grab a blog button. Hugs, Gayle
    http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, did you score! I love Fiestaware, but have NEVER found any at Club G.W.! Thanks for linking up!

    xoxo

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmmm...love it all!!! Can I have my Fiestaware back? :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...