Monday, October 17, 2011

Thrift Score Monday: Mugging for the Camera

The thrift stores have been kind to me lately. Two weeks ago, I walked into one of my favorite stores, sauntered over to the "just arrived" rack, and spotted a set of seven (7!) square Glasbake mugs in assorted colors.

I didn't have a cart handy, so it is possible that I threw my body across the mugs--to fend off imaginary Glasbake-loving thrifting competitors--and simultaneously stretched my right leg out to hook a basket with my toe. But I'm not confirming anything.  In any case, I love these mugs and only rarely spot a single one these days, so I was blown away to find seven in perfect, virtually unused condition. Definite score!

I really love milk glass and Pyrex mugs, people. They're so sturdy; so hard to break (though it can be done!).  They feel completely different from porcelain or clay in the hand.  Most of all, though, they transport me back to my grandmother's kitchen and give me a warm fuzzy feeling. That's why I will sometimes buy single mugs (when I don't find them in a fabulous set of SEVEN, as above), partly in hopes that I'll someday find their match, and partly because I can't bear to see them languish with the "regular" mugs in the thrift stores. 

I noticed recently that some of these orphan mugs I've acquired over time feature aqua designs. (I know...it's shocking that *I* would gravitate towards aqua...)  It finally dawned on me that they make a pretty cool collection! 


I may try to sell them as a mismatched collection in my Etsy shop. I think they'd look awesome in a retro kitchen with an aqua color scheme!

Next up, a group of simple white Fire King D-handle mugs:



I've collected these over time, but have lucked out and found several really perfect ones in recent weeks. I think they're so pretty in a minimalist way and could blend perfectly with any decor, from cottage to streamlined modern. It's hard to believe they're no longer manufactured!

Well, that's it for the milk glass mugapolooza! I'm hoping everyone else made some fabulous secondhand scores this week, and I'm linking up with the following blogs to check them out!

  

HOG
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

18 comments:

  1. I am absoutely loving your first set of vintage cups/mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the mixed set is beautiful, great idea to try and sell it as an instant collection! Great finds. Love your store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Shaheen and Mid Mod Mom. MMM: I love your store as well! :) I was just admiring the Georges Briard glasses in your blog post...stunning. Off to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! My post this week was about mugs too lol we are thinking alike. I LOVE the aqua mug with the vertical stripes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post....I have a weakness for FireKing mugs. I'm in love with your mismatched aqua set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice mugs! I always flip over the ones that look promising to see what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving everything you found! Lucky you ... and limber you ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that style & the colours of that type pf Glasbake mug. I've seen them marked up high at a antique shop & have only seen one very, very worn in a thrift - so worn I had to leave it behind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful colors! My mom had the yellow one when I was growing up. I wish she still had it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great find with the mugs!!! Ive been wanting to find these. No luck so far, though. Im definitely coveting yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your collection of aqua mugs. I would never find a collection of glasbake mugs at my thrift stores. You definitely scored. Oh and the white mugs, my husband's Mom gave us a whole bunch of those and we still use them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, we have the exact same taste in mugs! I am loving your Glasbake find...and those aqua sets-lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun post. I share your mug feelings - I also seem to rescue them from the thrift stores like lost wet kittens in the rain...

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are fantastic! They have indeed been kind to you, even if you had to hoard them to get them!

    enjoy

    ~b

    ReplyDelete
  15. mugs!! so beautiful and I agree, they feel different in your hand. And IMHO better :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love your collection.
    I'm slowly building up my pyrex/ fireking mug collection too. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What awesome mugs! I have an obsession with mugs... especially vintage ones.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...