Monday, October 10, 2011

Thrift Score Monday: Ivory and Gold

I spent a fun weekend at my parents' lake house, and of course managed to fit in a bit of thrifting!  I seem to be drawn to a more neutral palette lately, and ended up finding a conglomeration of ivory and gold items this weekend.

I was excited to find four dinner plates in the Royal China "Star Glow" pattern from the early 60s. I love the starburst design--there is nothing more retro than a good starburst!--and the simple, elegant cream and gold colors.


To go with them, I found five cool vintage tumblers with gold striped rims and a textured speckly frost around the bases, all in pristine condition:


What a pretty table setting these plates and glasses would make, especially for the holidays!

Surely you spotted the cute brass horse in the photos above; here he is up close:

He needs a good polish, but otherwise he's in great shape!  I have another, smaller brass horse figurine that I found a few months ago. I've been waiting to find a mate for him to sell as a pair in the shop.

Speaking of figurines, I was also excited to find this ivory colored owl made by Haeger Pottery:

We all know that I love a good owl, and this one is elegant in its simplicity.

In this shot, you can see a few more of my ivory and gold themed finds:  a small, perfect lotus bowl; a pretty solid brass tobacco leaf dish from the 1960s; and a cool milk glass apothecary jar from Belgium, in perfect condition and sporting its original, bulbous lid.  I was excited by all of these finds!



My favorite score by far, though, was this fabulous gold toned wooden peacock statue:

It's pretty large in size for one of these figurines, and it just SCREAMS Hollywood Regency glam. I love it and think it'll be hard to part with when the time comes to list it in the shop.

I hope everyone else had a successful week with lots of great finds!  I keep expecting my zeal for thrifting/flea marketing/estate saling to wane as the weather turns away from summer towards fall, but it hasn't happened so far!

Linking up with the following fun blogs to see what others have been up to:

  

HOG


http://blog.capscreations.com/  (THANKS to Cap Creations for featuring my punch bowl set from last Monday!)

5 comments:

  1. I love that horse (and I really love brass things...) so I will definitely have to check out your shop! Found you on Thrift Share Monday, now following! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and just a suggestion from a brass lover that I have heard from other vintage pickers... you don't always have to clean up the brass, lots of people love the authentic patina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGosh, I LOVE the peacock!!!! What a great score. The nice thing about thrift stores is that they're open all year long. I don't think you have to worry about losing your zeal! Found you from Caps Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You DID have time for some good thrifting. We call it making a good haul. I don't know how that started but everyone in my family uses the term. Especially love the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To sell or to keep, that is always the question!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...