Monday, September 26, 2011

Thrift Score Monday: Pan Am Style

I was SO excited for the premiere of the new ABC series Pan Am last night, and it didn't disappoint. The storyline was actually more engrossing than I expected, and the acting and characters were top notch. I was watching, however, for the 60s era sets and costumes. Most of the scenes in the first episode took place in public areas (airports, airplanes) as you might expect, but there were a few residential shots that had a great, authentic 60s vibe. Most of all, I loved the Pan Am stewardess uniforms! They were so chic in their bright blue with their matching caps, and their Pan Am carryon bags were to die for.

I'm one of those people who still dresses up to fly. I wish stewardesses (not flight attendants) still offered martinis in real glasses to passengers even before takeoff. I loved the circular lounge sofas on the "clipper" jet in episode 1. I can already tell I'll be back for more next week!

For Thrift Score Monday, I want to share a couple of "Pan Am" inspired pieces I found recently. The first, a mossy green carry-on bag, I found several weeks ago in a neighborhood thrift shop. It's in pristine condition, even the interior. I'm awfully tempted to keep this one, but in the interest of keeping my home as clutter free (ha!) as possible, I'll be listing it soon in the shop:





Next up, on Friday after work I stopped at another thrift store and found this cute set of matching luggage:


I love the charcoal grey color and I can't think of anything more 60s mod than a circular suitcase! And train cases are always so glam (and useful!), don't you think?  These make me want to slap on my flight attendant (er...stewardess) outfit and saunter through JFK.  How about you? I think either (or both) of these pieces would also be fabulous as decorative storage in a guest room.

I'm linking up here to check out other great vintage and thrifted scores in the blogosphere!

 SouthernHospThriftyTreasures copy_thumb  
Meet Virginia Design

HOG

10 comments:

  1. I thought the show was absolutely fabulous! Love that era - watching it for the same reason I watch Mad Men. Your finds are fab, too. Love the charcoal gray. I just told my hubby last night that gray is the new black!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have to check out Pan Am on ABC. I had not heard of it, but now I want to watch. I would also be into flying if I got a martini ha!Love the color of the green bag and the black set is so cute! Thanks for sharing.

    :) Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh lovely! I have the same one as your charcoal, but in yellow! I love it! The story that the lady told me that is attached to the suit case is wonderful too!

    smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some great finds! Didn't watch the show premiere yet, but can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched last night too! Pack your train case girlfriend. It's time to plan a South Shore trip to Chicago! (Think I can use one of those carry on bags as a diaper bag?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed the show. I love your suitcases Great score

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great! Makes my American Tourister look SO boring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice bags.
    I've just moved and discovered one of my vintage medical bags in not as good nick as it had been. Esshhh should of packed my bags better.
    I did not know about Pan Am on ABC but I shall watch for it next monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're very welcome to link up this one to my new linky party here - http://ivanna.blog.com/linkparty01/ . It has already started. Make yourself at home :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found the same carry on as your green one at a yard sale this past summer for only $3...but in blue. Im drooling over the green. Im considering selling the blue one eventually. I pack too much on a trip to actually use it:)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...