Monday, July 18, 2011

Dare to Chair

My living room is a work in progress. I live in a 1940s bungalow--more of a cottage, really--and the front door opens directly into the pint-sized living room. It's an awkward shape, because it also serves as a pass-through to the kitchen and the rest of the house, which makes furniture arrangement a challenge. I'm not happy with the scale of my sofa in the room; I'd like to rethink my paint color choice; and most of all, I can't find side chairs I'm happy with!

I've been searching for a couple years for some very small-scale, affordable slipper chairs, and just can't seem to find the right ones. So, up until now, visitors were forced to sit on the sofa, turned awkwardly sideways to converse.

Recently, though, I saw a vintage chair with interesting lines at a thrift store. With a half-off sale making its price a measly $7, I swooped it up, knowing I'd find a use for it. The finish was drab and scuffed, and the fabric seat had seen better days. The thrift store check out lady, who apparently didn't "get" its vintage charm, looked at me with pity.


I just loved the detail of the carved back, the curve of the arms, and the slender, straight lines of the legs. There was only one solution: PAINT. My answer to most furniture, cabinetry, and decor-related ills. And in fact, because I am lazy, I went the trusty spray paint route...and it didn't fail me. Check out the after shot, complete with reupholstered seat (thanks, vendors of small yardage fabric scraps on eBay!).




I think it'll do nicely until those perfect, afforadable, ivory colored slipper chairs find their way into my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...